HybridZ

Frame Rail Question

Guest Crispy Chicken

Guest Crispy Chicken

Thanks guys! Glad you like..

Wow, that is some nice craftsmanship, if I see correctly, you brung the frames inside the car?

Yeah, They stick out of the bottom of the floor a little bit. After I cut the floors out, the new ones should be somewhere in the middle of the rail. Maybe a little higher.. It should look cool after, I paint everything black. I figure having the front and rear rails closer together where they meet. Should be a little stiffer/stronger. Opposed to having a bigger gap and the rear rails lower.. I'm sure it wont make a difference either way, but what the hell....

ummmmm.... did you not see all the pics posted on this thread? Ive seen several pics in different threads showing the subframes replaced. Im finishing my front subframe and hoping to order rear rails in the next couple of weeks. What started out as a "finished by Halloween" project, turned into a "finished by thanksgiving", now its a "finished by the end of the year" project. I hate everyone on this site for all their good advice and great ideas. I think the "while im there" bug is highly contagious.

id like to see some front subframe pics if you could upload them.

i haven't seen any but a corvette subframe being mounted into a z.

that's still a pre-manufactured part.

careless,,,, this is a custom front subframe, nothing pre-manufactured. Im not understanding where your seeing a corvette subframe.

firstly, i didn't say THIS ONE was a corvette subframe. i said the only replacement for the subframe (or what i thought was a subframe [read below]..) that i've seen was taken from a corvette. and I think it was used for an LS1 engine too, so that makes sense.

secondly, I am talking about the section that holds the mounts for the engine and sits under the engine. the part that attaches to the front frames on each side, and has the LCA's bolted to it.

im wondering why anyone hasn't made a custom version of THOSE. whatever they are called, if they aren't subframes.

I love the car, that is exactly what I want to do.

What do you plan on doing with the floor in the pedal area? Do you think the frame rail sticking up could be in the way? Maybe a false floor?

Keep the pictures coming! I would love to see more pictures.

Guest Crispy Chicken
firstly, i didn't say THIS ONE was a corvette subframe. i said the only replacement for the subframe (or what i thought was a subframe [read below]..) that i've seen was taken from a corvette. and I think it was used for an LS1 engine too, so that makes sense.

secondly, I am talking about the section that holds the mounts for the engine and sits under the engine. the part that attaches to the front frames on each side, and has the LCA's bolted to it.

im wondering why anyone hasn't made a custom version of THOSE. whatever they are called, if they aren't subframes.

Cradle/crossmemeber as people call them.. I'm going to use the same 2.5x2.5 .120 wall tubing for my custom crossmember so it matches the frame rails.. I decided awhile ago I wasn't using the JCI LS1 kit.

I love the car' date=' that is exactly what I want to do.

What do you plan on doing with the floor in the pedal area? Do you think the frame rail sticking up could be in the way? Maybe a false floor?

Keep the pictures coming! I would love to see more pictures..[/quote']

Thank-you.. The pictures throw everything off. It's hard to tell the floor is cut and sagging down about a inch in some places. With the new floors the rails should be sticking out about a quarter to half inch on top of the floor.. Maybe a inch at most. I haven't decided yet. They wont be in the way at all. Trust me I thought about for hours all ready.. haha

thanks for the replies regarding the crossmembers, guys.

I think i'll go ahead and plan out my own as well.

does anyone have any schematics of such a piece? I would appreciate a starting point, rather than dissecting the stock unit.

then again, I could get these CAD'd and have them churned out for anyone doing RB swaps if people are interested.

Sure!!! I'd like that.

I have a lot of ideas that would work in theory, and would be a benefit to the community as i know that some people are weary of what they install on their car.

I'm no suspsension genius by any means... far from it. But my big brain lets me do some amazing things sometimes.

I'm thinking I will be able to make many products for making the Z feel less floaty at high speeds. =)

that should get younger people like us to start liking good cars again :D

Crispy Chicken, your new frames look great! I have two questions.

It looks like 1/4" x 1/4" x 16 ga angle was used to connect the front fenders to the frame rails is this right? I am assuming that the new angle stock is overlaping the bottom of the old fenders.

Can you post a picture of the point here the front crossmember bolts to the new rail, please? I am not sure how to make this connection solid.

Thank you for sharing!

Guest Crispy Chicken
Crispy Chicken, your new frames look great! I have two questions.

It looks like 1/4" x 1/4" x 16 ga angle was used to connect the front fenders to the frame rails is this right? I am assuming that the new angle stock is overlaping the bottom of the old fenders.

Can you post a picture of the point here the front crossmember bolts to the new rail, please? I am not sure how to make this connection solid.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank-you...

That's right.. Right now, I'm having a new crossmember fabbed up... so I can't post any pictures just yet..

Guest Crispy Chicken

Haha, I'm staving right now, waiting for everyone to finish cooking..

The front rails are "2.5x2.5" rear "2x3" .120 wall 11 gauge 3mm thick

front "63.5mm x 63.5mm" rear "50.8mm x 76.2mm"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Crispy Chicken,

How is the project going? Did you get the engine crossmember bolted up? Please post some pictures of those pockets. I am still looking for an elegant way to do this to my 2 1/2" sq. tubes. It looks like the bolt holes are right at the outside corner of the tube.

Thanks for sharing!

Jon

Guest Crispy Chicken

Hey Jon,

I'm still waiting for my engine and tranny to be built. The cross member is on hold for now. I'm about to start striping the car and rust proofing it. Well try to at least. As soon as I get my engine and tranny in I'll send pictures. I'm still thinking of ways to do it as well...

Derek

I left the cross member mounting point in place on the inner fender and cut a pocket in the new frame rail to accomodate it. The mounting point at the inner fender was then welded solid to the new frame rail. I then took the JTR spacer and welded it to the frame rail and cross member mounting point. It appears to be very solid but I know a lot of people don't run the spacer.

I don't have a picture of the spacer welded on but here is the inner fender shown from the engine compartment and you can see the bulge where the cross member mount is on the other side.

pass%20side%20inner%20fender.jpg

Here is the pocket that was cut in the new frame rail to clear the cross member mount.

frame%20rail%20pocket.jpg