HybridZ

Supercharged Lincoln V8

Guest Mike

Yes... I searched:wink:

I found a '97 Lincoln Continental locally with a SC V8. The window sign states that the engine is new (don't know about the SC or tranny). I don't really want the car but I'm interested in the engine and transmission to swap into my 260Z Alpha 1, which currently has a mid/mild NA 350 SBC. I realize the mounts must be changed too. Overall the car is in very decent condition and I think I can pick it up for about $3K or so.

QUESTION: What kind of performance can I expect from this Lincoln SC V8 engine as opposed to a built (mid/mild) NA Chevy 400?

Is the Lincoln the 5.4 or the 4.6? and if its the 4.6 is it the 32 valve DOHC or is it the SOHC? The problem with these engines are there size. My dad had 99 mustang Cobra and that had the 4.6 dohc it wasnt supercharged though but that car was fun and it wasn't to bad handling either. It had around 320 hp and around 02-04 they started putting on the superchargers and those had around 400. As compared to the Chevy I would personally choose the Chevy for simplicity, The Lincoln (or ford whichever you prefer) will take a lot of work to get inside the Z, and I have only seen it done once, cant remember his name though. It's in the ford section I believe you should contact him to see whats involved. I hope this helps

I don't yet know the size of the motor or anything else about it. I'll call this PM just because I'm curious now. From what I can find, the SC motor wasn't available in the 1997 model. Since the motor is new, maybe it's been updated?? Yeah... the consensus is to stick with the old school SBC and I must agree... I just wanted some confirmation, I guess. This said, I may buy the Lincoln for a daily driver. If I can get it for >$3.5K it's a pretty decent deal considering the new motor. My old Mazda 626 is on its last legs anyway.

I measured the width of my dads 4.6 dohc and It was about 2 inches skinnier than the width of the Strut towers and I think it is possible, but I could of been wrong on my measurements. Let me know what year the engine is and what supercharger it has and any other goodies it may have.

vega... see posts #6 and 7. I don't know if fitment is a problem. I abruptly ended my research once I read about that possible problem. It MAY not be an issue after all??? I'll look around and post my findings later.

• 9 months later...
Guest bojo68

I'd like to know WHAT Lincoln was supercharged. Far as I know there hasn't been one. Ya wanna watch which lincoln engine ya get too if ya get one, the continental's are front drive and as I understand it don't bolt to anything tranny wise that's rear drive capable.

Guest bojo68
if its a 4.6 dohc than all you have to do is find a wrecked gt 96 or up or just the tranny from one than supercharge the hell out of it with some new heads and running about 9psi itll be a sick engine 350 -380 horse

NO mustang tranny will bolt to a 4.6 continental engine, continental's are FRONT DRIVE, RWD tranny's won't work. 96-98 cobra's have 16 intake ports, supercharged cobra's have 8, not gonna say it can't be done, but it's going to be far from bolt up. 96 up gt's are sohc.

if it was a continental you can use the heads and pistons on any 4.6 5.4 but block has no motor mount boss on back side and bell housing is different. 4.6 dohc will definitely fit but will be close width wise but they have rear sump and are pretty short front to rear so otherwise fit well. also no linclon had a sc they are either lying or it is aftermarket, why on a continental i have no idea.:icon6:

NO mustang tranny will bolt to a 4.6 continental engine, continental's are FRONT DRIVE, RWD tranny's won't work. 96-98 cobra's have 16 intake ports, supercharged cobra's have 8, not gonna say it can't be done, but it's going to be far from bolt up. 96 up gt's are sohc.

maybe on most but lsc's are the same engine as the mustang arent they?

I was under the impression that the Cobra motors (if we are talking 03/04) were DOHC = 16 intake ports. The SOHC motors were 8 intake ports, yeah... The 05+ Mustang SOHC is a 3-valve though. I think maybe he meant the Mark VIII. Not the continental. I believe the Mark VIII is RWD.

• 1 month later...