HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Hey guys...

There was some talk of an original 250 GTO tabbed lock pull. I finally had a chance to get it installed on my rear hatch. After about 2-3 hours of filing (quicker if you have a power tool ie. Dremel) it looks well... you decide.

6886_thumb.attach

Hey guys...

There was some talk of an original 250 GTO tabbed lock pull. I finally had a chance to get it installed on my rear hatch. After about 2-3 hours of filing (quicker if you have a power tool ie. Dremel) it looks well... you decide.

Looks great to me - where did ya get it?

Thanks Chelle. To be honest it was such a long time ago I'd have to go through my receipts. I do know that I found the supplier through this forum on Hybrid. Someone had posted a link. Again...can't remember who but thanks to everyone who contributes. The interior is now 100% complete!! A little more work to the bonnet before paint and it should be on the road. You once quoted "Get it on the road and start enjoying it. Finish the little stuff as you go" (or something to that effect). Good advice.

Birds_007_thumb.jpg

Thanks Chelle. To be honest it was such a long time ago I'd have to go through my receipts. I do know that I found the supplier through this forum on Hybrid. Someone had posted a link. Again...can't remember who but thanks to everyone who contributes. The interior is now 100% complete!! A little more work to the bonnet before paint and it should be on the road. You once quoted "Get it on the road and start enjoying it. Finish the little stuff as you go" (or something to that effect). Good advice.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Would you please quit showing one or two teaser pictures in your posts and give us a real look at your car!!! It looks awesome...but I can't see the whole thing!

Are the tail lights you are using from Finish Line Cobra parts?

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Would you please quit showing one or two teaser pictures in your posts and give us a real look at your car!!! It looks awesome...but I can't see the whole thing!

Are the tail lights you are using from Finish Line Cobra parts?

yeah!! .. what he said :)

please show us more

• 2 weeks later...

I will post more pics of the car, I promise. The front clip is still not fininshed yet and I'd like to get it done before posting. It's such a big part of the car. I did put up a few new pics in my album.

Zerrari, the rear taillights are original 250 GTO. I searched them out on the internet and found an OEM set of brake lights still in the original box. The guy was in Netherlands and didn't let them go cheap, $600 *ouch*. I was able to make a good set of turn signals out of the remaining parts that came with the car. The only thing I had to do was re-chrome the trim rings.

7020_thumb.attach

Con Brio,

I think we have the same hook on the latch on Kim's white Alpha. Wish I knew where it came from. I may "settle" on using an original piece from a 275. It's a little different but would work. Here's the hook on the white GTO

WGTO-trunk.jpg

Hey Chelle,

That looks like the one. Did it break off ?? I wish I had ordered 2 or 3 of them. I was thinking about it last night and if I recall they're re-makes not OEM. I'll go through my receipts and look back through this thread to see if I can't find where they're from.

Sorry I have been slow on getting this out there about the Simpson style dash we're putting in Kim's car. Just been busy with three cars half apart and trying to get to enjoy at least some of them before the season is over.

Kim ordered the Simpson style dash as the White car had the stock dash modified to look like the Alpha dash. It was made by cutting away some of the stock padding and filling it in with two part foam. It looked okay, and worked okay, but it wasn't aging well and the gauges were foamed in place and therefore really impossible to work on. Even replacing a instrument bulb was impossible.

When the dash came in we decided that while it is a good start, it needed a lot of fitting and some modifications to get it to work the way we wanted.

We took the gauge panel and cut paper circles to mock it up and decide on placement and size. We then put the panel into the dash piece itself and discovered there was going to be some work required to get it to fit right. We decided to do away with the stock gauge panel and build a flange inside to screw an aluminum plate to. This would allow it to be easily removed to service the gauges and would give us slightly more room on the panel.

Here's the pieces as they fit initially. You can see there are pretty uneven gaps all around. This was true regardless of the depth the panel is mounted. In order to have sufficient room between the steering wheel and dash, as well as having enough of a cover to prevent some/most of the gauges from reflecting on the windshield at night the panel needs to be recessed to some degree. In the third picture I had decided on the depth and angle we needed the panel to sit and drilled 4 holes to hold it in place temporarily.

WGTO-Sdash1.jpg

WGTO-Sdash2.jpg

WGTO-Sdash3.jpg

Once we were happy with the placement we removed the screws and roughed up the back of the dash panel a few inches around the opening. Then we wrapped the gauge piece in aluminum foil and bolted it back in. Here's how it looked from the back. We then laid in about three layers of fiberglass and left it to cure.

WGTO-Sdash4.jpg

After it cured we removed the screws and popped out the gauge panel, then using a dremel tool we cut away the excess leaving a nice lip all around the opening about 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick. A little lightweight bondo around the opening allowed us to blend the lines a bit to make it look a little more uniform. While the bottom edge is angled a bit we decided that after we cut the edge back and with the steering column coming through the middle there it shouldn't really be very noticeable. It should also be noted that there was a bit of work required to clean up the seam from the mold all the way across the front and sides of the large panel. Once done with this initial stage a coat of primer makes it all look pretty. At this point Kim made a template out of foam core board for the new gauge panel and then cut it out of 1/8" aluminum and determined gauge placement while I made pieces of alumnum to fit into the back of the dash.

WGTO-Sdash5.jpg

WGTO-Sdash6.jpg

WGTO-Sdash7.jpg

WGTO-Sdash8.jpg

I fitted the aluminum in to serve several purposes. First it will serve as reinforced mounting tabs to hold the dash in. Next it adds a nice source of a ground to the backside of anything mounted to the dash. After riveting in 4 pieces of aluminum. Kim poured in a nice two part foam which filled in most of the area behind the dash panel and in between and around the aluminum I riveted in. Using a drill mounted sanding drum she sanded away any foam that was excessive or might get in the way of the A/C, wiring, gauges, etc. and she drilled the holes for the defroster vents. Rather than go totally original looking we both chose to use three round vents that can be aimed like most road going Ferraris use. The combination of the metal mounting and reinforcement with both metal an dense foam resulted in the assembly feeling and sounding like it is very sold and metal rather than fiberglass. With it bolted in, when you knock on it with your knuckles it feels like it has real substance. Last two pics are another test fitting into the car. We had to make a new lower mount out of aluminum for the column as the stock one put the column coming through the left side of the opening.

WGTO-dash3.jpg

WGTO-dash4.jpg

WGTO-dash5.jpg

WGTO-dash6.jpg

WGTO-dash7.jpg

I'll try and post some more details as time allows about the final mounting and finishing of the dash. We are going to finish it in black wrinkle finish.

I still need to trim away excess material from the mounting tabs and we need to finalize the decision of console or not as well as switch placement. I hope this helps those who are considering dash options. . The Simpson dash is a nice starting point in my opinion, just requires work to finish nicely.

Hey Chelle,

That looks like the one. Did it break off ?? I wish I had ordered 2 or 3 of them. I was thinking about it last night and if I recall they're re-makes not OEM. I'll go through my receipts and look back through this thread to see if I can't find where they're from.

Nope- it didn't break, but did bend some :(

trying to find a pic of a stock one

here we go:

GTO-3943%20trunk.jpg

Heres the one residing in our garage.

Possibly looking to sell it. If any of you are interested, shoot me a p.m.

looks to be an Alpha... I'm near the IL / Wisconsin line, where are you? I'd like to check it over and see what kinda deal is available...

For those interested, I've created a website with my progress pics. My kit differs in that I created the molds or altered an existing kit to create a unique design. The changes that I have made to the body are:

-Oval mouth, smaller brake coolent vents

- small hood with air vents

- convertable

- replica fiberglass dash w/ removable nacelle

-bottom air scoops

I will also have some replica hood pin sets and rear tail lights for those interested. I am currently working on plexi clear air scoops for the hood.

You can visit me here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2922491

Eric in So. Cal

2922491_64_thumb.jpg

2922491_63_thumb.jpg

2922491_62_thumb.jpg

2922491_61_thumb.jpg

2922491_56_thumb.jpg

2922491_43_thumb.jpg

2922491_39_thumb.jpg

2922491_31_thumb.jpg

For those interested, I've created a website with my progress pics. My kit differs in that I created the molds or altered an existing kit to create a unique design. The changes that I have made to the body are:

-Oval mouth, smaller brake coolent vents

- small hood with air vents

- convertable

- replica fiberglass dash w/ removable nacelle

-bottom air scoops

I will also have some replica hood pin sets and rear tail lights for those interested. I am currently working on plexi clear air scoops for the hood.

You can visit me here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2922491

Eric in So. Cal

Looking great Eric! I might have a need for 6 plexi scoops and 2 pairs of hood latches. I like what you did with the hood support/hinges. I want to do the same - how did you attach the skin to the frame though? I was going to just go all out and make my hood over again out of aluminum.

To attach the fiberglass hood to the metal frame, I used Fusor 147 made by Lord. Used by Ford and GM, I highly recommend it for any fiberglass to metal bonding applications. For the hood hinges, I found some pictures of the original hood hinges and replicated those. The hood relaxes about 15 deg. from vertical when open. Next I am cutting out the pattern for the radiator cap feature. I'll put you down for some hood scoops and bonnet hood latches.

Wow, it's great to see a lot of technical posts happening again. I guess spring is here and everybody is getting into their cars (me too, I'm itching from fiberglass as I write this).

I PM'd Con Brio about his extra parts and any sources available for front turn signal lights. The ones I got with the Velo Rossa kit are an LED type with a plastic bezel and I want to go with a higher quality light. Anybody have a good source for these?

Thanks.

Wow, it's great to see a lot of technical posts happening again. I guess spring is here and everybody is getting into their cars (me too, I'm itching from fiberglass as I write this).

I PM'd Con Brio about his extra parts and any sources available for front turn signal lights. The ones I got with the Velo Rossa kit are an LED type with a plastic bezel and I want to go with a higher quality light. Anybody have a good source for these?

Thanks.

Zerrari, I prefer these guys for original hardware like lights... not cheap, but great quality. I have bought things for our Lambo as well from them and they sell only nice original or excellent reproductions.

http://www.italparts.com/details.php?id=225&plaats=171&prijs=&item=14&status=&garage=&type=&terug=/overzicht.php?id=171^page=1

Chelle

Emblems...I'm looking for another set of the crossed flags, the small ones that go on the ashtray. If anyone has an extra set or knows of a supplier please let me know.

Zerrari, you're right. Spring is here and looks like we all have the "itch". Some of us more literally than others.

Kind Regards

I don't suppose they would have something like the door pulls... :)

I did get a PininFarina script ( from eBay) to put on my dash tho. :mrgreen:

thxZ

actually they have had the door buttons, made custom order but extremely not cheap lol..

but don't use the pininfarina script or some Tifosi at an event will laugh at you for not knowing every bit of ferrari history. The bodies were developed from work done by Bizzarini and Scaglietti built them all in house(out of 21 gauge aluminum), not PininFarina. Pininfarina did the bodies for the Series 2 GTO's (1964) but not the early cars..

hmm, that would be kewl - make a badge for Scaglietti... crediting him.. that would earn a little respect from die hard Tifosi :)

Con Brio- GTO's didn't have ashtrays! lol ;)

trying to think what you could be referring to - almost sounds like you are referring to something like corvettes had

picture?