HybridZ

250 GTO Owners Thread

Duke

Con Brio, we will want a few items as well :) please let me know when you are ready to take orders.

Chelle

Sure Chelle. I'd be more than happy to help you or anyone in what ever way I can.

That being said...mudjr12, I didn't forget about your request for pics of the latches. I have some old pics I can send you now, e-mail might be easier they're a big file. Or I can take more detailed pics at the end of the month, never had a chance to last time around. The best would be for me to pull one of the fenders off so you can get a view of them from the back. If you like what you see from the first set of pics let me know what areas you want in more detail.

Kind Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished installing the taillights. These are Opel GT lights from http://opelgtsource.com. They include everything needed including new lenses and housings and used electrical bits.

I decided to go with the more modern Ferrari look. I just don't care for the bullet lights on the Velo Rossa rear end. Plus these put out a lot more light.

Due to the lack of space behind the fiberglass panel, I had to cut sheetmetal to fit the electical parts in. Otherwise it was fairly straight forward.

Took about 8 hours all together to do the job. If anyone is considering these, I have a big hole saw available.

Ciao for now,

Michael

DSCN4931_thumb.JPG

DSCN4930_thumb.JPG

DSCN4932_thumb.JPG

Guest Stu Korpela
I know we have been down this road before, but does any one know where I can get pre-fabricated chrome rings that go around the outside lensed on the lens covers for the headlights?? Thanks in advance.

mudjr

I got mine from Tom McBurnie thru Thunder Ranch. Expensive but very nice. Stu

Guest Stu Korpela
Boy from Oz; are you prepared to sell me a pair of the perspex covers and trim rings and ship to the UK? I should be most grateful if you could.

I bought mine last year from Thom McBurnie at Thunder Ranch calif. Expensive, but whats not expensive now days. Any how, he had no prpblem comming up with them. STU

Just installed mine last week (I'll post some pics later). Had a local guy with an english wheel make them up. Took him 3 tries to get a set that was "not bad". Asked him to make me a couple of extra sets and he said "No f@*%ing way!!". Then sent them out for chrome. Up close they look don't look great, 5 foot rule is best. Would have liked a set that was curved, mine are flat metal. The car has the VR Engineering one piece tilt front end so McBurnie's wouldn't fit. This is one of the hardest parts to fit and finish. Both because of the complex curves involved and it's such a predominant finishing piece (IMO).

I bought my completed 78Z/250GTO in 8/07 along with an extra body kit.As far as I have been able to find out it is an old build 80's?? 6cyl auto ....what a pig it is ,the auto is a real boat anchor.I am planning a CSB and tko600in the very near future .The 2 body kits are the old Alpha kits. The original owner ,an older gentleman retired military. bought an extra body kit in case of accident and stored it under his porch. When he passed his widow had no interest in keeping it or building another.

Hey 78Z/250GTO,

I have an old Alpha 1 kit as well. Purchased it complete and did a rebuild over the last 3 years. The previous owner experienced front end damage and subsiquently replaced the clip with a one piece tilt from VR Engineering. Do you know if the owner built his car or purchased it complete?? Pics??? If you're ever looking at selling the other kit please drop me a line first. Kind Regards.

The previous owner had the build done for him but by whom I don't know. this according to his widow. I'll keep the extra kit for now while I go through the completed one. It also came with a box of extra parts. Don't we just love those extra mixed boxes. The more I get into this car the more I am suprise at how pristine the the body is. Even the welding around the rear wheel wells still black and gray unpainted and no surface rust inside the panels or inside the the rockers or dogs leg or battery tray .Its a wonder to me because I owned a 75Z mew back in the day. The only thing I don't see is the rocker cover panels for the extra kit.

Guest Williemite

Hello everyone,

I am rebuilding a 71 240Z 250gto. I have no idea who manufactured the kit. the car was rusty so I manufactured and installed new floorboards and heavier frame rails. I'm going with an LS1. I am looking for a coil over suspension and better brakes. I would like to just buy and bolt-on... After I complete the suspension I will install a 12pt roll cage and new dash.

This site has been a HUGE help and time saver!

Thanks, Willie

That sounds like a nice ride. 12 pt. cage sounds serious. Are you sure you don't want to slap and LS7 motor in there while you're at it?! C'mon, go for it! If money were no object, right? Good luck on the build. There are quite a few LS1 guys here that can give you help when you get to that can of worms.

As far as suspension setups, check the vendors' section. Off hand can think of http://www.betamotorsports.com , http://www.modern-motorsports.com, and http://www.arizonazcar.com . . . Who am I leaving out, guys?

I don't want to say it cuz I'm afraid I'll jinx myself, but....IT'S FINISHED !!!! After the rebuild of the bottom end it's back together and running great. Well almost. I have a vibration coming from the back end. Gets worse as I climb through the gears and goes away when not under power, sounds to me like the drive shaft (right??). But appears, can be heard while driving, to be coming from the right side of the car only (?). I installed the 280ZX CV axle conversion from Modern Mototrsports maybe I need to have a look at clearance issues with the rear sway bar. Just happy to have it on the road and driving it !!! :) Only a few weeks left of nice weather up here in Canada and I need to get 500 miles on the clutch for break-in. I'll sort the vibration out later. Thanks again guys, and of coarse Chelle, for all of your positive comments and assistance. Hope to meet some of you in person someday and shake your hand. Kind Regards. Mark ...a.k.a. Con Brio

• 2 weeks later...

Hey anyone who has finished a VR

How much did you lower your car front and back to make it look good?

Please post pics straight on from the side to show your ride height and clearance above the tires.

I'll take pics and add them here. Looks like I'd need to lower the back of my car about 4 inches to make it look right. I don't think that's feasible. BUt, the guy I bought the car from may have raised the height. I won't know until I pull the rear struts out.

Thanks,

Michael

Hey anyone who has finished a VR

How much did you lower your car front and back to make it look good?

Please post pics straight on from the side to show your ride height and clearance above the tires.

I'll take pics and add them here. Looks like I'd need to lower the back of my car about 4 inches to make it look right. I don't think that's feasible. BUt, the guy I bought the car from may have raised the height. I won't know until I pull the rear struts out.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

What model is your car? (240, 260 or 280).

My car is not completed but I have finished the suspension and the lowering of the car. If you have a 280Z you can easily lower the rear by swaping out the top isolator perchs on the struts with 240 isolators. This alone should get you about 1-1 1/2" lower in the back.

I sectioned the front struts by an inch and a half and am using MR2 front cartridges. I have coilovers all around the car so making adjustments to the front and back is easy. This set-up really makes the car sit nicely.

If you have a 240Z the strut housings should be sectioned in the front and rear. One of the members here has a good website documenting his V/R build. He is using a 240 platform and covers the sectioning of his strut towers here: http://marcsgarage.net/pics/coilovers

Post some pics of your car showing it's current height if you can.

It's a 280, so I will change the the strut isolator to get the initial inch or so. Are those available new anywhere?

As you can see from the attached picture, I have a full 5 inches of space between the rubber and the fender. I'll need to lower more than an inch to make it look right.

The front isn't so bad. Probably an inch and a half lower will work.

VR 001_thumb.jpg

VR 002_thumb.jpg

VR 003_thumb.jpg

It's a 280, so I will change the the strut isolator to get the initial inch or so. Are those available new anywhere?

As you can see from the attached picture, I have a full 5 inches of space between the rubber and the fender. I'll need to lower more than an inch to make it look right.

The front isn't so bad. Probably an inch and a half lower will work.

What I mentioned previously, (sectioning struts in front, 240 isolators in the back and coilovers all the way around) should take care of it. I have also heard of people using the front isolators from a 280Z on the back to acheive the same effect. When I put my 280 front isolators next to the rear 240 ones they looked to be the same but I can't confirm. You can find the 240 isolators at one of the many dealers for used Z parts. I have purchased quite a few parts from the Z Barn: http://www.zbarn.com/index.html

It also looks like you have 14" wheels on your car. Most of the wheels I've seen used (especially wire knock-offs) are 15" and fill out the wheel wells nicely after the above mentioned mods have been done.

Sectioning the strut towers, changing out the isolators and going to coilovers is a lot of work and is going to cost some money but it is pretty much agreed by most builders & kit manufacturers that these are required modifications for a GTO replica. I'll try and take a few pics of my car after these changes and post them here.