HybridZ

Redrill JTR Mounts or Switch to MSA??

Guest Mike

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I did some research and this is what I've come up with.

JTR KIT: Provides the best F:R weight ratio with the engine farthest back and lowest. However, the dizzy is very close to the firewall, the tranny dipstick can rub the firewall and one must use either block hugger headers or have custom ones made.

SCARAB KIT: Elimininates all the negative issues of the JTR kit but F:R weight distribution is slightly affected and use of an electric puller fan with an electric water pump is basically impossible (at least in my car). Engine placement is fully 4+ inches farther forward and higher.

MSA KIT: Is probably the best compromise. This kit places the motor about in the middle of the JTR and Scarab kits. This allows use of all electric cooling components, full-length headers, and no proximity issues at the firewall.

GIVEN: My 260Z currently has the Scarab kit with a 350 SBC. I just bought a JTR kit to replace the Scarab components because I want all electric cooling and better weight distribution. However, I also want full-length headers and an unmodified JTR kit does not allow this.

QUESTION: Should I just redrill the holes in the JTR mounting plates a couple inches farther forward... or sell the JTR kit and buy an MSA kit?

Mike,

I've been knee deep in my Z for the last couple of days.

I was looking at it tonight and to move it forward more than about an inch, it would also have to come up somewhat for oil pan clearance.

So the MSA kit may be the way to go.

I'll look at it closer tomorrow. I got a tangent to figure out the blower motor wiring tonight. Note: The blower motor relay is grounded through the relay itself, if it isn't attached to the body, you won't have blower motor operation. :)

JAKESHOE... thanks for the advice. Good luck with the Z blower moter relay. You can run a ground wire and mount the relay anywhere you like... just attach the ground wire between the mounting screws. Use high quality crimp connections. Let me know about the JTR plates when you have the time.

POP... Thanks, I may do that. However I have no way to cut the plate steel. Also, I just don't have the energy anymore to tweak these two or three times to get it right. If I had an accurate drawing this would be very appealing since it would prevent me from having to sell the JTR kit and buy the MSA brand.

NOTE: This post is duplicated in your thread "My thoughts on the JTR..."

If I decide to redrill the mounting holes in my JTR setback plates, is there anything else I would need to do?

I know nothing about custom fabrication but, if I need to move the motor mount holes up as well as forward, I'd need to make new setback plates, right?

For only moving the engine forward, do I have the direction correct (see pics).

http://forums.hybridz.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1523&d=1161477832

http://forums.hybridz.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1521&stc=1&d=1161477825

LLave... Do you have instructions/diagrams on how to convert a Gen1 SBC to EDIS-8? That's something I've considered but I haven't researched it. I'll probably do this regardless of what conversion kit I use.

If I toss the dizzy, the placement of the tranny dipstick can be worked around. However the issue of not being able to use full-length headers remains.

How about switch to EDIS-8 and slam that motor back

Yeah... an LS1 with an LS6 top end would be nice but that's another kit. A T56 would be great too but the modding is a PITA (read expensive).

I think I'll stick with a SBC and automatic. Soon the combo will be a 406 or a 434 stroker... either will have at least a 100HP shot of N2O and will spin a built 200R4.

Mike,

The only way I know to convert a SBC to EDIS is with a megasquirt (which is what I am doing) But, A little digging on the net gave me these..

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=692496

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8610&N=700+115&autoview=sku

http://www.msdpromag.com/pdf/groundpath.pdf

LLave... Do you have instructions/diagrams on how to convert a Gen1 SBC to EDIS-8? That's something I've considered but I haven't researched it. I'll probably do this regardless of what conversion kit I use.

If I toss the dizzy, the placement of the tranny dipstick can be worked around. However the issue of not being able to use full-length headers remains.