HybridZ

front sub frame and roll cage question

Guest turdbo

ok well when i got my z it has been in a crash..im not sure if the car stright but im pretty sure it is...the car looked fine when i bought it but i pulled off the fenders and noticed that it has been wrecked...i never drove the car and dont know how it drives...but i plan on dropping in a rb26 or a 1uz-fe in the car and i was looking at 500+ hp...no matter what the car is going to need braced..is it possible to remake the front subframe with tubes..like a roll cage...i plan on putting a cage in the car but would it be easier to buy a new subframe and then brace it or should i just remake the entire subframe and connect it to my roll cage?...iv seen it done before but it must be very hard..can someone point me in the right direction?

ya i searched a while back but nothing really helped me out ..i actually have an old thread about it..some said its fine but others said watch out...i just was going to make a new front sub frame that connects to the actual rollcage it may also be a little eaiser to fit the engines inside of the frontend

I found these threads on the FIRST page of search results for "chassis stiffening". If you aren't finding them, you aren't looking very hard. When you search you aren't likely to find exactly what you are looking for. These threads have info that should be useful though.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114913

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112328

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96998

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=111590

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=106618

Here is a thread from deeper in that has info on a full tube chassis front end:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96998

The thread isn't hidden, it's just buried a little ways in the archives. Be dilligent with the search and you'll find what you're looking for. Try different search terms, keep reading, and you'll find it.

JON... The problem I experience with searching is that the title is often poor. Also, the topic often changes. Other times, the data is buried deep inside the thread.

I strongly support using the search function but often it's... well... just a PITA.

Hehe... "off topic"

You have to consider how people use this information...

Bad user(scolded for not searching):

Many people do not know if there is a good answer to their question... or if the answer is on this site... or if the question is worded correctly...

Plowing and troughing through search results can literally take hours... If it does not come up on the first page of results... people move on... or ask a question.

Good user:

Once people have been lurking around with thousands of questions and gradually reading Q and A as well as debates.... they get an idea of which forum has the best results... they tend to gravitate towards that forum and pick through it's archives... as well as contribute information themselves...

You can't blame people for asking questions??? there is no bad question... just bad responses in most schools of thought...

It seems that a frat mentality can develop... The group can become unfriendly and impatient with folks who are passing through... asking routine questions from the group...

This is a HIGHLY technical group... it seems to me that there are a LOT of hard facts in these posts... but the exchange of information has become almost personal between a relatively small number of posters... you guys know what is on the site.. you have seen or contributed to it before.. it is easy to find the answers using the search engine because you know EXACTLY what question to ask...

bjhines has hit the search issue dead-on.

I'll just add that misspelling is another problem adding to the frustration. This occurs on both sides... the person posting the information and the one looking for it. Yet another issue is that, for one reason or another, some people simply have a difficult time reading through endless pages of text looking for buried details. Basically, there are so many nuances, mistakes, and personal challenges that searching is often either useless or terribly time-consuming. That said, WE MUST ALL MAKE AN HONEST EFFORT TO TRY searching first. However, I don't believe that anyone should spend hours or days doing so. That's just cruel and inhumane:shock:

BTW, Google has the best search engine around. No offense to our very own hybridz built-in search engine:mrgreen:

Here's my opinion on this, and I get a few private e-mails each week from people wanting me to tell them exactly how to build their car:

YOU HAVE TO PAY SOME DUES!

You, as the car owner, have to take the time and spend a lot of effort educating yourself. If it takes hours to read through posts to come up with the information you need to make the right decision, so what? You're going to spend hundreds of hours building the car, what's three more hours of your time? This is a very, very small price to pay.

I've learned the car people who want an instant, immediate answer are not car people for very long.

johnc... You make good valid points. Please note: I have invested hundreds of hours searching and researching for my project. I use the hybridz search function regulary. Sometimes I find what I need and sometimes I don't. Now... I KNOW that nearly every querie I will ever have has probably been answered and posted. However, if it takes five hours to locate the information when it can be posted and answered in five minutes, I'll continue to ask questions.

I realize that, as hybridz members, we are often frutrating to deal with. Some of us have needed some guidance form time-to-time (myself included). I'm sorry, but it's just part of the business. I mean no disrespect but, sometimes searches just yield nothing useful. Other times it's a PITA to dig/sift through dozens or even hundreds of posts.

But yes (again I agree) that we should at least TRY searching.

Nobody is "posturing up" and nobody is calling anybody stupid (or stoopid). :wink: The admins do not do this because we find it frustrating or annoying either. We love this site and the creativity and passion for Z's that drives it, and that comes from the users.

The point of my responses to this thread were that there is a ton of info on this subject here. You won't find a step by step procedure for putting a tube frame front end on a car here. But if that's what someone is looking for; an exact recipe for how to do ANYTHING, then they're looking for the wrong thing. This is Hybrid Z and we are all about installing parts that don't fit into these cars. So when you search and you don't find a step by step manual for your project, then you need to take the useful info from related topics and incorporate that info into your project. When you aren't sure how to do THAT, then post. That's when the incredibly talented members of our forum will REALLY come out of the woodwork to help out.

JOHN & JON... Yeah, you're right:mrgreen: Sorry if I was out of line:icon56: I realize your doing the right thing and without some firm moderation this forum would suck like those "other" sites:shock: