HybridZ

Have to rebuild the steering shaft...

I have to rebuild the steering shaft on my 72 240z. The Ford 302 headers don't clear by about 1/2". I was wondering a couple of things:

-Does anyone happened to know the diameter and the spline count off the top of their head for the datsun steering shaft at the coupler and the rack end?

-Does anyone who has already done this have a list of the part numbers they used and an approximate cost?

Have you talked to people who have a simular swap and asked what headers they used? If you think you can do a cheaper steering reroute versus new headers then go for it. Seems like a headache if a different set of headers would work.

I agree, but I just bought these headers that did fit on another Ford 302 swap. My mount has been modified and such so that the engine sits really low and back. I am going to relocate the shaft, was just wondering if anyone else had any tips or part numbers to make it easier. Looking at the parts availability though, it seems like it won't be too hard once I get the spline count.

Did you use the same Summit brand headers I have on my car?If so your motor must sit lower than mine.

To relocate the steering shaft I think the shaft is cut and the u joint welded to the shaft so it doesn't matter what the spline count is only the diameter.

Did you use the same Summit brand headers I have on my car?If so your motor must sit lower than mine.

To relocate the steering shaft I think the shaft is cut and the u joint welded to the shaft so it doesn't matter what the spline count is only the diameter.

Yes I did use the same headers, the engine sits a bit lower. The funny thing is that I am pretty sure the stock starter fits in.

That is a good point but I am pretty sure I can do it with out cutting and welding since there is widely available splined shaft in various lengths, and I don't have anything to weld it back with. :?

i don't have a v8 swap but my mount caused me to extend my steering shaft. i took the shaft off a 280zx with power steering and modded it by using the ujoint and shaft and held it in place with a heim joint from the local 4 wheel parts store, i got a pic or 2 in my album, check it out........

That is a good point but I am pretty sure I can do it with out cutting and welding since there is widely available splined shaft in various lengths, and I don't have anything to weld it back with. :?

zcarnut posted the spline count in a fairly recent post but I can't find it. You might try a more detailed search on his posts or PM him to know for sure.

If I remember correctly the spline arrangement on the 280 steering gear is unique and no longer available. Cut and splice might be your only option. I am sure you can find a local garage or welding shop that will do it for a few sawbucks.

• 5 weeks later...

S-30 240Z has 28 spline 0.590 dia. shaft..

this is very close to 19/32" or 0.5937.. I have not found replacement joints yet... but I thought I would stick this in here...

I called Borgenson... they have a 15mm 29 spline joint that fits Nissans and Toyota Landcruisers... unfortunately we need 28 splines...

S-30 240Z has 28 spline 0.590 dia. shaft..

this is very close to 19/32" or 0.5937.. I have not found replacement joints yet... but I thought I would stick this in here...

Untitled-21.jpg

Thanks! Solved this a while ago now. What I ordered was a 5/8" smooth to 5/8" smooth sealed U-joint from pitstopusa.com (#SWE401-50808). I am going to have the original steering shaft (in blue) cut and have new shaft (in orange) welded to the old shaft to make the approximate lengths shown above. Then the shaft ends will be welded into the U-Joint. The system will be supported by one rod end (McMaster P/N 3798K32) with an MDS-Nylon Filled bearing (MC P/N 6294K8) inserted, and fastened/glued in to the rod end. These nylon lock washers (MC P/N 90566A240) will be used in conjunction with washers (MC P/N 96659A112) the rod end will go straight through the frame rail.... provided there is nothing interfering underneath. Wish me luck, I shall post the results/modifications when done.

NOTE: The rod end is meant for heavy duty lifting and such, because of this it is really large and heavy, not really an optimal setup, but it was cheap and the alternative lighter weight version seemed to be a custom piece.

I assume you have read the Borgenson's tech info page

Especially their warning on welding. Wonder how hard it would be to grind double D ends on the cut shaft. Also Summit racing carries rod ends specifically designed for supporting steering shafts.

Thanks for the tip on welding, I did not know that. I suspect it should be okay though. The U-Joint has no provision for a screw to hold the shaft in. I think it was meant to be welded, I shall check on the sources website, it is not a Borgenson unit.

I know and that piece costs $45 if you want it in 6" length. I ordered one anyway and it kept getting back ordered for about a month. Finally I canceled it and just went the mcmaster route and got this setup for much cheaper. No doubt it is not as professional looking and most likely heavier.

The rack imput stub joint is the same. The blue shaft is the OEM steering shaft simply cut. There was no slack in the joint at the firewall or the rack so I decided to just leave it be.