HybridZ

Can't find VG30ET

typhoone

You would figure that it wouldn't be too hard to find a replacement vg30et....but it is nearly impossible. I have looked all over, on ebay and everything, and the only ones i have found are either only the block, or have high mileage already. can anyone PPPPLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE tell me where i can find either a jdm one or even a low mileage one.....i am losing my mind. thanks for your help

-Hank

Also you can use any VG30E. A 2ed gen maxima block fits directly, and the 3rd gen needs 2 oil filer mount parts swapped, and that means any 2ed gen maxima, or the 89-91SE and all 89-94 GXE engines can be swapped in.

What exactly is broken on your VG? also try maxima.org if you want a used one. I could pull a VG from the local picknpull and ship it to you but Im leaving for florida for 2 weeks or so. (it'd be $160 for the engine plus labor and shipping)

The diffrence is the maxima 9:1 compression and the turbo engine is 7.8:1 or 8.3:1 depending on the year. Just turn the boost down a little or timing under boost.

~Alex

basically the guy who had the car before me was a retard. he sold the turbo before he sold me the car. the oil light came on before he parked it, so I am sure the pump is screwed, since he claims to have replaced the oil sending unit before that happened. just all kinds of fun stuff. I can't even find out the mileage on it cause he already jerked the motor, and its sitting on my front porch. so yeah, I figure since I am about to be doing A LOT to that car I need to start out fresh so I don't have to start over after I blow the current motor. I wanted to stick to the vg30et because the compression is already really good, and that saves me some time and money.

lol, wish i could find one of those. Just wondering, what is the better route. i know that both the 350 sbc and the vg30et can reach very high power levels, but unfortunately i am not a millionaire. so which would be better? getting a new vg30et, or a 350 sbc. one of my buddies has a 350 and i could get it off of him for pretty cheap, and he knows how to build a motor, so i know it will be DAMN good, plus as long as i'll help he'll put the motor in for free. i have to pay for all the extra parts and stuff that we have to pay to be fabbed up. but how much would that stuff cost? and is it well worth it? i am VERY thankful for everyone's feed back.

Id go with a 9:1 VG out of the junkyard, and build your current block. VG's can get great off boost MPG when not driving hard, but a carb'd SBC would be hard to get the same MPG. Plus with aboosted car you can run a high rear end ratio (numericly lower) to get great highway milage.

Basicly the VG has tons of aftermarket and its just the off chance you cant find one locally lol.

Again what is the problem with your current VG? if you can use the pistons you have now and the cyl walls arent scored you can just hone them and put new rings in, or just get new crank or yours remachined and use new bearings. If it has rod knock.

Also make sure you fix the cause of the problem not just the symptom.

Since your friend knows how to build a engine a rebuild wouldnt be that bad, and you wouldnt have to go through all the modded swapping in a much bigger engine would require. All you need is an upgraded turbo,IC and chip your current ECU.

~Alex