HybridZ

The M roadster may be going to Canada...

Mikelly

I had a dealer contact me from Calgary Canada this past week, and we've finally worked out what I believe is a fair deal on them buying my M Roadster. Today I took the car to Crown BMW of Charlottesville Va. and paid $150 to have a pre-purchase inspection done. I'll fax that info to the dealer in Canada and then we'll deal with the tranfer of funds/ title, and shipping of the car.

The plan right now is to pay my Dodge Cummins off and sit tight until after we get our corporate taxes ball-parked. Then I'll decide on what's gonna take its place...

Right now I'm down to about four cars...

Porsche 1995-1997 993 TT

Porsche 2001-2005 996 Carrera S

Dodge Viper Coupe 2006 New leftover

BMW 2004-2005 M3

Who knows... Maybe I'll buy a Subaru WRX STi and pocket the savings to play at the track in the Z with...

Mike

Is it the '07 M3 that will have the old M5 motor? That sure will be a sweet car.

Wrx STi is my vote on that list but thats because I live up north and need a everyday all year round car. Plus my everyday car has to have alil pep in its step.

The M3 would be the 2004-2005 model year. I'd possibly consider a used M5 as well...

The STi doesn't "look" 100% right, due in no small part to that funky wing, and I'm not sure I want to live with it every day... I'll have to look at the limited edition. I don't plan to mod whatever I buy, and I've heard bad things about the STi drivetrain if power is boosted much beyond about 25%. Not to mention the fact that the warranty gets voided, and I'm not about to void the warranty on a $31-37K new car. I always look at it from two perspectives...

- Resale

- Cost of total package

I'm sure the STi would be fine for a while with an increase in boost, but when that transfer case/ transmission lets loose, it's not a cheap fix at all. Two guys I know that have them have warned me about potential issues...But they are an imrpessive car...

I've also got a 2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel 4X4 as my daily driver, so I don't "need" AWD... Don't know... Just glad I'm blessed enough to be in this position.

Mike

I have alot of collective experience with the subies. I have a first gen 2002 that has been running about 4psi over stock (265bhp) since it was new and I now have 95K miles on it with NO issues. Never, ever, has it been back to the dealer other than two safety recalls. It has a squeeky clean record. Two of my very close adult friends have STI's modded to 400HP and both cars have run about 40K miles in this state with not an issue. They also do track days. Mind you, I don't mean to generalize, but alot of what you read on the subie forums comes from kids, and some adults, that don't know how to drive (and have no idea what fuel mixtures are). The cars are TOUGH and will amaze you every drive, rain, snow, sleet, hail, on dirt, gravel, or asphalt.

The wing...yes it is obnoxious. I'm fully on the same page with you in the looks area. You can look for a "limited" model which is very subdued. I have seen it in person and is a very acceptable "adult" car. Or you can buy a regular STI in an earthtone color and sell the wing to a kiddie or just trade trunk lids which is very common.

Bang for the buck? 0-60 in 4.5sec with AWD and 6speed for $32K electronically limited to 155mph? You bet. Go ahead and drive one for a day and you will be hooked. You will change your tune about "needing" AWD. I roll on to near full throttle just after the car takes a set on corner entry and shoot out of a corner like a slingshot.

EVO has nothing but tranny problems! Even stock EVO's are blowing up trannies. Seems like our Mitsu tech is always pulling a tranny out of one the crap boxes. They are fast as all hell out of the whole though! But they loose a little speed on the top end.

Guy

if i had an sti i would find somebody to trade for stock sti spoiler.i heard that had problems with m3 motor blowing up.old porsche-no.i like the newer 911 body style-very sleek and classy.i must be getting old.i would be happy with standard 2 wheel drive s model-keeps weight down and price down.i have been thinking about getting a honda s2000 after selling my boat.just a quick simple car to run around in that only needs oils changes.would have to be a 2004+ model with bigger motor.