HybridZ

The age old battel

fast300zx

Hello everyone i am new here and was wanting to ask a question or two. I have the chance to get a vg30dett motor for real chaep with tranny and turbos. i have an 85 300zx with a non turbo motor. Which would be best to do the VG30et or the VG30dett I have read alot of the post on here that say the vg30et is better and others that say the vg30dett is better. so i want peoples opinions on each motor i want to get a pro and con list going to see where i want to go. I want to make 500+ hp, it is not a dd, i dont want it to be only good for drag racing, and i have all the time in the world to do it. Dont get mad if this has been asked before i just wanna know for my situation. Each is different. This thread says it is almost a direct swap http://www.300zxclub.com/showthread.php?t=57886&highlight=z32+engine+z31

While others say it is to hard to mess with so is the guy lying.

thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we cant tell you what is pefect in your situation. You have to read all the facts and decide for your self.

Take a measureing tape to the engine and get all the dimensions possible. Then measure your car.

FYI, you have a Z31, the TT engine is out of the Z32.

~Alex

I fircken hate links to sites where oyu have to register or already be a member, but my friends a member of that site so maybe I will have him lookat the link.

Anyway, I personally have quite a bit of experience with both engines and I can say that yes the VG30de is a much more advanced engine compared to the single cams but it IS a much harder engine to work on. Dont let anyone fool you into thinking its an easy swap because its a pain even into the z32 n/a. Quite a few more parts on the vg30dett a prone to failure compared to the single cam and its obvious of that because of its level of sophistication. A vg30dett will net you your HP goal easy in a z32 but getting it in and the money your gonna spend doing it will cost you more than just getting 500hp out of the single cam. Its your money, your time, and most importantly your car, so only YOU know whats best for it.

VG30dett

Pros: revs higher/smoother, beefy internals, best intake design 3var, and fairly inexpensive for 300+hp.

Cons: much heavier, expensive components, physically bigger/hard to work on, and the turbos dont last as long.

VG30et

Pros: cheap, lighter, already in the car, easy to work on, fewer parts to fail

Cons: poor aftermarket, lower power output, and cant rev as high

All in all I dont see to much of a price gap between the two when waht it takes to rech that power level with either engine is spendy. Its the time that will kill you with the dual cam vg and getting it running right. peace.

Ok thanks guys I was wanting to compare prices of the two. Ok the VG30et I would rebuild from bottom up so let me know what are the best parts i can get as well as strongest i can get. As well as turbo price. All the stuff to completely rebuild the motor. The vg30dett let me know what it would cost to replace turbos and other stuff needed.

thanks

well i looked at his car more closely and found he still had the car on a lift he was just trying to be cool so i will be going to the vg30et so i need to know about the things metion above. Can this motor make 750hp. i would like to get the bovs so i could adjust my turbo and only go that high for drag racing but will go lower for scca. Could I have it reliable at 750 hp. I am not looking to super high revs 7000 is plenty i like low end power motor last longer that way. It is also more fun to have power that low.

To have a pretty high power drag car will likely make it terrible for scca type races. The turbo would have to be pretty large meaning it won't spool all that fast. Garrett GT wise you'd be in the area of GT40, probably larger for 750 hp. You'd pretty much have no low end power. You could always swap turbos for the different events but that would definitely become tiring.

What kind of 1/4 mile times are you aiming for? As fast as possible, certain times to beat certain people, etc?

Well i was reading turbo faqs and relize you cant build a multi use car. So this is what i will aim for. I am not sure about 1/4 mile time something in the 10s would be cool or in 1/8 mile like 6s. I want it to have low end power so it will be fun to drive on the road (wont happen often). Somehing that will spool quick would be really what i want. so what hp should i be pushing for i want as much as possible but within reason of spool up of course. it is a small car so it would be fine prolly at 500-600? i probably need to mention i would like to run nitros to so i would need something that would work together well. i am just getting it all figured up so i can blueprint the motor and have a set plan before i build and how could i get ahold of World Wide Racing for an intake plenum when we get it all firgured out i wan to make a list of everyhthing an d you guys could help me see what i would need or am missing.

The GT3076R would fit pretty well for that power range. It would be getting near the upper limit but it should spool pretty quickly and have good high end as well. The GT35 would get you closer to the 600 hp mark or you could use a Holset HY35/HX35 as well. Those are very nice turbos and very affordable.

I believe a guy running an HY35 in a Z31 is spooling in the 3,500 rpm range or so. Might be a bit high for autocross and whatnot but would be better than the GT40+ range. I'm working on a pretty cool valve setup to help spool turbos quicker, I just need to get the time to work on it. It would work very well with the HX35 and even better with the GT3076 with the right exhaust housing. With that setup it would make the scca type races much better.

If you're going to use nitrous, that'll definitely make the turbo spool quicker if used on the low end.

ok cool man i will keep in touch with you then becaus ei plan on rebuilding the heads completely, port/polish,cams,adjustable cam gears,new valves and springs to match similar to what the guy on redz31 did. but if you have a setup that works for that let me know later when it is finished and i will probabl get in contact with you. do you know of what internals i should use. I want parts to handel the power all forged internals except for the crank.

thanks

is that a 4 banger motor? Anyway thanks i have been reading that site but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it. I have found out alot about head work and plenums and certain turbos to run. I was looking for brands to get these parts from. I know what i want to do suspension,brake and ecu wise but just not sure what compression ratio to go with and such. I want it blown the right way. lots of boost. hehe

Yeah well i got it running haha the porr thing is all carbed up and has sever smoke from the intake gasket blown. So i would need to replace everything.

Why is that motor considered the best and why do some not like it. Anyway send me to a site that has everything i would need and i might consider it all opionions are open. I think it is a good looking motor and would be bad ass in the car. How much does it weigh?

thanks

Some like it because it can make a ton of power stock and built. My problem with it is that not only is it very heavy but most of its power is up in the higher rpm range. I'd prefer the VG30DETT and better yet the VH45DE for an all out engine. The power output of both of those engines would be much lower in the rpm range making for a much more fun street engine. On top of that, I believe they'd be able to make much more power, especially torque wise, than the RB would be able to.

As a comparison, their's a company that built an RB and VG both with pretty much equal modification. The RB produced 10 more hp than the VG... the VG though produce over 300 lb. ft. torque more than the RB and nearly 3,000 rpm sooner (RB's being in the 7,000 rpm range and the VG in the 4,400 rpm area).

I think the RB is in the 600 lb. range but I can't remember for sure. I know that its a very, very heavy engine. The VG30DE(TT) is also a heavy engine, which is why I prefer the VH45 the most. :lol:

RB pros:

- straight 6 = smoother engine

- severely underrated from the factory

- can be built to rev very high

RB cons:

- heavy

- not available in the US = harder to get parts

- only 2.6L displacement at biggest

VG (DOHC) pros:

- more compact

- very strong stock parts

- large aftermarket support

VG cons:

- still pretty heavy

- lots of sensors and extra crap

VG (SOHC) pros:

- relatively lightweight

- strong stock internals

- found in many different US Nissan vehicles

- two available engine sizes (3.0L and 3.3L)

- very cheap.

VG cons:

- little aftermarket support = lots of searching or custom work on your own

- older motor design

I'll leave the VH pros/cons to mtcookson