HybridZ

what about a gmc typhoon engine.

CBL

Point of clarifcation: The GN/Turbo Regal uses a Buick 3.8L V-6 and the Sy/Ty uses a Chevy 4.3L V-6. Only similarity is that they are both 90* V-6s.

As naviathan said, pretty tough finding one of those engines. The Buick engine, while not littering junkyards like V-8s, is much easier to find if you look in the right places and do not procrastinate when one comes up for sale. Of course you could always build your own but that usually ends up costing a lot more than finding a pull-out.

try sourcing the buick 3.8 from here in oz. it was produced in the holden commodore for like 20 years, so hwe have an absolute glut of them.

the pick of the bunch is the factory supercharged model which came out in 1996 i think it was. a very strong engine.

ive seen a guy round my area (west coast, perth) who has done a twin turbo convert on the 3.8 ecotec, sounds amazing going by, especially when you see that its a twin turbo station wagon..:P

those pickups/suvs are fast and rare definitely. i was in austin comeing home last year and i was in my civic hatch right, and a gmc "sonoma" pulled up next to me at the light and revved up "lightly"; so i did the same. (i know streetracing is bad) he starts a high idle and i see the truck jump a little. light turns green and this basta**'s front end lifts off the ground (chassis twist and all) and i freak out and stall out.

i was like a deer in the headlights, and pulled behind him at the next light and saw the word "Cyclone". embarrassing huh?. well long story short good luck finding one of those to pull the drivetrain out off.

Im thinking about doing a swap with the 4.3. Make it a twin turbo. Just wanted to know if it would fit the jtr mounts. I dont think the engine is impossible to source, probably harder to source a good gn. The swap Maybe a little difficult. I have the turbos, and faberication skills along with the z and trans. I think im half way there. the sylcone chasis is more or less the same as any small block chevy correct.

Also isnt the new 3800 supercharged a fwd engine?