HybridZ

Rear shock mount coming appart

I have a 240z with a SBC about 450 hp at the wheels ..... sat at the track after about the 3rd or 4th burnout the car started to get real bad wheel hop.... not on the launch just in the burnout box .. was so bad i could not do a burn out .. pulled back to the pits lifted the car and nothing looked wrong so i mad a sot pass no burnout and the car went fine...... went abck to the box and tried again same bad hop.... then i noticed the rear shocks at the point they come into the rear of the car that they were way down in the hole under the little caps....it looks like the washer that is under the nut pulled thru the rubber and now the nut and washer are below that giving the rear shock about an inch and a half of play .. does anyone have any idea what could have done that .. rubber is not rotten all new and soft and the washer is almost as big around as the rubberint there...

Well, HYBRIDZ rules says we are not suppose to guess but only answer if we "know". But if I had to guess, it would be that you have a car that runs high 10's on almost 40 year old rubber isolators. Go back and read some of JonhC's posts about the routine maintenance he use to perform on his cars before each race. Maybe they just had taken enough abuse.

Obviously don't drive the car until the isolators are replaced.

Yeah i won't be driving it till i fix that ..lol kinda a rough ride also ..thanks i will go read some of the post still don't understand how they can pull down when it should have come thru the top.. and my 60' times are only in the high 1.60s

The fact that you say that it's a rough ride leads me to believe it's not just at the top. You need to check ALL of the suspension. I'm not convinced that the top part isn't the result of something else that went wrong underneath. We've had several people with high hp cars where the big 24mm bolt in front and back of the control arm loosens itself and falls out, then the control arm bushings start to come out of the diff crossmember. I bet something similar is going on with you. If the top strut mount failed it wouldn't prevent the suspension from compressing normally and the ride wouldn't be any rougher, although it might be noisier...

I don't mean to be a wise guy but, the simple answer is obvious.......450HP in a 30 year old car, originally delivered with approximately 150 HP!!!? Time to spend some $$$!

P.S. I would also take Jon's advise about checking the complete suspension for other possible failures.

Tom