HybridZ

Corvette IRS Update

For the hordes out there rushing to install the Corvette IRS icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif, you better hold off until I post an update. I had to reposition the hangar because the hub, in what would be the extreme squat position, had a clearance problem. I already had it redone but have been a little scarce lately with work and some personal tasks.

Probably will not be able to get to it for a couple of days but will post updates when I can.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I have been watching this site for about 6 months. Have not registered until now, but have learned a lot. I am very disapointed in the lack of follow up of many issues including this one on the Corvette IRS. Scotty, you have let a lot of people down. Why get everyone going about the upgrade without thinking it through. Please respond with your fix so that others can learn from the experience.

Thank you.

STEELMAN

"I am very disapointed in the lack of follow up of many issues including this one on the Corvette IRS. Scotty, you have let a lot of people down. Why get everyone going about the upgrade without thinking it through."

WTF??? Agreed, we better cancel Scotties pay raise and cut some benefits....NOT! If you've read as much as you have I'd have guessed you'd have figured out that the general spirit of this forum is info. sharing and group brainstorming to devise new solutions where needed. Faulting anyone for lack of info, particularly someone who tries as hard as Scottie to make it all crystal clear for the uninformed is scarilege IMNSHO.

Scottie's explained a lot of the swap and his plans already, it's a hobby for him, IMO he goes way beyond anyone's expectations regardless of what they may be. Reread the opening statement when www.hybridz.org first loads. Guys here spend hours on their keyboards regurgitating what they've already done when they could be working on new projects or with their kids or .....

I apologize to admin if I stepped out of line but STEELMAN's response really irks me.

Heh, that's almost funny - if he's been reading here much he'd know that we're a helpful bunch. What a jerk!

I've met Scottie, spent time in his home as a matter of fact. He's got a FAMILY, a full time J O B and a new home to take care of. Wow, he's even taken time off to have house guests and BTW his job forces him to TRAVEL too. Gosh, he's not been spending as much time on his project as you'd like. Well fine - I nominate Steelman to finish the project for us. Go get a rear and go to it, be my guest. Document it all of course.

Anyone second the motion?

Scottie - you're a good guy and I for one know the score as do the rest of us who are your friends here. Ignore the ungrateful jerk and please let us know how it's going when you've actually had time to work on it. No one else has documented this and we've heard lot's of people claim to know folks hwo have done it. So far as I'm concerned you're helping us all out a great deal and I truly appreciate the work you've put into it thus far. Thank you for your help, your guidance, and for the assistance you lend others here. I for one appreciate it a great deal! icon_cool.gif

Well I can't add much new to what the rest of you have said, but I'd just like to say that Scottie has some of the BEST documented swap-related websites out there, especially for the Z car. There is no way that I would have gone the route I did with my car if I hadn't been able to read about every single step that Scottie did with his, and his performance evaluation. `nuf said.

WOW, thanks for jumping to my defense folks.

After looking at his sig and his plans, it is ironic that he cannot comprehend the complexity. On the other hand, since he has not responded, not sure I can take him seriously, so I will ignore his comments.

As for the project, it is well underway again. The mount and bracing for the links are done and just need some aditional bracing. Total overkill in the way I did it but...... Next is to order the shocks/coilovers and come up with a way to mount them. The bottom of the shock will be an eyelet and will require a simple bracket to mount it on top of the hub. Have not decided if the top will be an eyelet or stud. I am waiting to get an OEM upper strut mount to see if I can use that, else I will have to fab up something to use the original upper strut mount point (3-bolts). Once I figure that out, then the entire unit comes out, the lower shock mount gets welded to the top of the hub, new brakes lines get bent to fit the Vette calipers, entire unit gets re-installed, adjustments made for driveshaft angle, driveshaft made and I am done. All fairly simple and my bad for not getting it done quicker icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I will post some pics tonight and yes, I am way behind on the web page.

I am sure there is some interest in duplicating this swap, so I am going out on a limb now and make a few statements. I do not recommend anyone with a stock-fendered Z to consider this swap, the C4 IRS, i.e. The C3s have a narrower track and might work but I have no data on that. I recently responded to a personal email from someone who wants to do the swap and was inquiring if I would make mounts, etc. After studying what I have done to date, my response was no, I would not duplicate my mounts and do not recommend he try the swap on his stock-fendered 240Z. The rear track on a Z is 57" and the C4 is 70"!!!! To make matters worse, the C4 uses wheels with a deep 5.5" backspace. If the unit was narrowed down that much, the inside-top of the hub would be under the strut tower and under extreme squat, I believe you would have clearance problems. Sure you could do some cutting to make it fit, but I just would not want to recommend that and certainly would not attempt to makes mounts for it.

As I stated before, I know of only 2 other Zs that have done this and only 1 used a C4. The C4 IRS in Cyind's Z is not narrowed and even with flares, the tires still extend a little past the fender lines. That should give some idea of the width we are dealing with. Since I decided to narrow the unit, I was left with having to develop everything from scratch. If anyone decides to follow in my steps, use my document as a guideline only. I will be more than willing to lend advice BUT I do not intend to duplicate my mounts. There are just too many minor variances to make that workable as it would only take a couple of millimeters off to totally destroy fitment and alignment and I just do not want to risk that. I already learned a lesson when I duplicated my NPR plumbing for folks and some had fitment problems and I felt bad about that.

In the spirit of this great forum, we are all here to share and learn from others experiences. It is ironic that someone, a newbie at that, can be critical that we are not developing ideas and sharing them fast enough icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Good lord, Scottie that's a lot of work! How could anyone who's been following threads here expect to see the finished product in a couple of weeks?!

I guess Steelman isn't married and doesn't have a job so he spends all day polishing his wheels in his mother's garage or something...

Keep us updated Scottie, you know who your buds are here, nevermind the idiots.

Owen

Six months following site and now you decide to post and what a doozy. Hopefully six more months atleast before another!! Go look up goatturd or whatever his name is. What a couple you would make.

zfan...Mike icon_razz.gif

Scottie don't worry about the fitting problems on the piping, the NPR tip save me lots of $$. Yes there are still people that complain about free info, go figure. Even though I don't plan the IRS swap I still like reading the articles, very ingenious and well documented. Reminds me of my favorite show TRUCKS, very intresting modifications !!

Scottie, I am embarassed to be your friend. Do you not see how I have constantly updated my pics and progress on the twinturbo header. What is your problem MAN? If you are just going to tease us all then I don't want to be your friend. Please be more sensitive to my feelings and needs. Thanks!

Scottie, I'm actually glad it's taking you a little time to complete the swap. This lets us all be assured that your ARE mortal!

Like most I've been following your progress and enjoy seeing the updates, but the help YOU and others on this board provide goes way beyond what anyone could expect or hope for.

Hey not done yet completely swapping out that rear suspension and puting in another that needs lots of modifications, whats up slacker?

I've moved around the garage 2 or maybe 3 times the rear suspension parts you sent to me.

Have I bolted them in yet? Ah-No.

Is it a simple bolt in? Well-Ah Yes.

What's my problem? One pinch lack of motivation and a whole lotta OTHER PRIORITIES.

Pretty much the same for you Scottie? Well except for that lack of motovation part.

All of us, except "Goatsteel" appreciate you sharing your ideas, KNOWLEDGE & progress

Guest Anonymous

Scottie, let me know if the man of Steele needs to get his butt kicked, I haven't done any charity work for awhile... God I miss boxing and wrestling... icon_eek.gif