HybridZ

Short nose extention ?????

alexideways

Well, I did just that on a friend's car, it was supposed to be a temporary fix so we can move the car under it's own power but, he could'nt resist and whent out for a road test, he said he kicked the s*it out of it and everything held fine.

I took two industrial pulleys of unknown origin that he had laying around, I took those cause they were thick and allready circular and about 4" diam.

Then I took 2 pieces of angle iron, mesured by eye, ground the corner flat so I could put them back to back to form a simetrical + shape, welded them together, with one pulley at each end, drilled both pulleys according to the diff/shaft patern and hooked everything together.

Well, today, while working on the exhaust, I noticed that the damn thing has started to crack so, since it worked pretty good, we'll build another one out of a tubing section instead of the angle iron I used the first time because it just hapened to be there and we'll see how this holds up to abuse.

This sure is a great idea, but whats the durabillity of this?

Great idea. If built correctly there shouldn't be any durability concerns.

Well, as I mentioned above, the first one I built was meant to be temporary so, I did'nt really had durability in mind when I built it.

I took to pieces of angle iron and ground the sharp edge flat, I welded 'em

back against back and it held fine for a few runs but the moron had a big grin on his face and could'nt let go. Afterwards while checking for an exhaust leak in the back I noticed that the piece had started to crack and twist, the welds

held just fine, it's the angle iron itself that cracked cause I probably ground them to thin.

Now, since the concept seem's to do the job correctly, I decided to look further into it and I think I'm just going to use a piece of drive shaft between two flanges.

I'll post the results when we brake it or after it holds long enough, we decide that it's NOT going to break.

Keep in minde that this car as a stock L28T with more boost like 10psi or so.:icon14:

This may sound stupid but, that is a good question, as I kinda got lasy and just bolted the two flanges to the shaft and diff and mesured directly on the pipe while my friend holding the shaft in place. The reason I did this is because, 1 The tape mesure that we had was a piece of S*&T and we did'nt really had anything to hold the shaft still to take a good mesure.

I did this in his garage on two jack stand cause he needed the car NOW.

As soon as I see my friend and get access to the car, I'll try to mesure it.

I'm not sure it lowered the angle though as I just extended the short nose to where the original shaft bolted to the long nose. Give me more details, maybe there something I'm not getting in what you say.