HybridZ

Interior space for a tall driver?

qwikrex

Hey All,

I've wanted to own a z for... well... as long as I can remember. I'm in a position to possibly purchase one in the not too distant future, but I do have one concern.

I haven't been physically in, or around a z for quite a while, and I'm a tall guy 6'4". My last "sporty" ride was an 89 honda CRX, which I had to sell, because I simply grew out of it, my head was in constant contact with the roof.

I'm concerned the same may be true of a z!

If it helps any, I plan to get a 240, that is older than a 74' model. This is because I live in california, and would rather not deal with smog restrictions. Anything up to a 73' is smog exempt.

So, what do ya say. Will I fit?

Also, this'll be my first post on the board, but I've been lurking, and reading messages here for years. I was actually surprised to find I didn't already have an account when I first signed up, and went to post.

Fist off you year can be up to 75 for smog cut off. I'm only 6'1" and I have not fitment problems, my brother however is 6'6" tall and he was close but no uncomfortably close. You can do a couple of things like lower the seat if you still feel like you are too close. Welcome to the board, just continue to search and use the resources of the board. Good luck,

Tyson

Fist off you year can be up to 75 for smog cut off. I'm only 6'1" and I have not fitment problems, my brother however is 6'6" tall and he was close but no uncomfortably close. You can do a couple of things like lower the seat if you still feel like you are too close. Welcome to the board, just continue to search and use the resources of the board. Good luck,

Tyson

Hey, thanks for the super quick response! Glad to hear I'll fit in one of these!

Also, thanks for the clarification on the smog years. I was eventually going to look that up, I just remembered off the top of my head that it was in the early 70's. I think last time I checked it was 73', I think as years go by, the smog exempt year changes, right?

Any way. I'm probably still a ways off from getting a z, but I'm very excited about the possibility. My wife has agreed to let me get one after a few bills and other small projects are taken care of. So, soon, I hope. :wink:

Hey no problem. It was 73 for a while then I think we had the 30yr rolling exemption for about 2 years before it was gotten rid of, which puts us at 75. Take your time looking for a Z car though, really be careful. A good price isn't always the best deal nor is the high price. I spent a good 5 years looking for mine, while gather information from this board. I literally went all across the board for motor swaps, to prebuilt motorswaped cars, partial projects, complete projects, there are a lot of options out there. I ended up going with the "some one lost interest in their project" and that has worked out well for me. If you can resist the infamous "while I'm at it" you can get a really good stock or slightly modified Z for a good price. Best of luck in the search,

Tyson

I'm 6'4" with a long upper body and kinda fit. Get a Z without a sunroof to provide more headroom. When I started autocrossing I removed the sliding rack under the seat and replaced it with flatstock that relocated the mounting holes. This helped my helmet clear and gave me more legroom but then you lose any adjustability. It was pretty funny when a much shorter fellow autocrosser drove it, peaking over the dash and barely reaching the pedals.

Wow guys, thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I'll have no problem fitting.

I figured space would be a bit tight with a helmet, but I'm willing to deal with that.

Now just to actually buy one, and figure out what motor I wanna put in it!