HybridZ

Can't get intake manifold off!

eec564

So, my exaust manifold has developed a rather large leak, and I sound like a motorcycle with straight pipes. I've removed everything I can imagine that could be holding the intake manifold on, including the fuel rail, EGR, coolant hoses, air intake, vacume hoses, the four intake manifold bolts, etc. I should just be able to wiggle the manifold and pick it up off the head, to get to the exaust underneath, right?

I was under the impression the the heat shields that you cannot get to without taking off the intake manifold were attatched to the intake manifold, and wouldn't impede my removal. Any help by anyone who's done this on an engine that's still in the car would be great. In case for some reason my signature decides not to show my car specs, it's an 82 280ZX non-turbo, totally stock.

When I took the intake manifold off my 240Z, there were alot more than 4 bolts holding it on. The exhaust manifold and intake manifold share several bolts and they are all on the underside of the intake. I had to take my heatshield off to even get to them. So try taking a look at that, if you haven't already.

Okay, I'll get all the heatshields off and get under there with a mirror and flashlight. It wasn't clear at all from the downloadable FSM from carfiche that there were any intake bolts under the intake.

Thanks so much, I'll get on it AM tomorrow.

There are bolts under the intake that hold the exhaust manifold and intake manifold on via thick washers that push on tabs on each manifold. Unfortunately, you'll most likely have to pull the exhuast manifold too because the combined intake/exhaust gasket will probably get damaged.

Yea, I figuered I'd have to pull everything and I already picked up one of those absolutely huge gaskets. One thing I was presuming (just like every other car I've worked on) is I'd be taking off the intake first, since it's on top. But I notised there's that little plate in the webbing between cyl 3 &4 that lets you get to one of the exaust manifold bolts. I don't need to take off the exaust first, do I? I wouldn't think (hope) so. Once I get the heat shields off I should be able to get to the rest of the bolts for the intake.

I also think I broke an exaust stud, (which caused the leak in the first place) such as the one around cyl 6, so I also have plans to use my EZ-outs and some new studs/nuts.

Okay, I got the intake and exaust manifolds off, thanks so much for the tips.

Lo and behold, the exaust broke in half right below the 2-into-1 collector. That would explain why I was louder than any sane car on the road. Looks like it's off to a welding shop for me, as it looks like it may have been welded before and will need to have about two inches cut out and fit with new pipe.

If this is a stock manifold, and it was welded once already, I'd trash it now. Cast iron is hard to weld, specially if new metal has to be introduced. Headers arn't that expensive, even from MSA. You can easily find manifolds in the junkyard. If not I'm sure someone on here will give you theres for the price of shipping. If I still had mine I'd give it up, but it broke while I was taking it off.

It's not the manifold/header that's broken, it's the section after the 2-1 that's part of the exaust that runs down to the cat. Just above the 2-1 before the break is where the manifold bolts to the rest of the system. I was gonna cut out the entire section that's either been welded or just looks that way due to rust and weld in a new section of pipe. I just can't decide now if I should buy a cheap wirefeed welder or take it somewhere.

Also, being in CA any parts I add would need to have a CARB number to be leagal for use on a smog controlled vehicle.

Anyone local to Oakland wanna drop in with a welder?

It's not the manifold/header that's broken, it's the section after the 2-1 that's part of the exaust that runs down to the cat. Just above the 2-1 before the break is where the manifold bolts to the rest of the system. I was gonna cut out the entire section that's either been welded or just looks that way due to rust and weld in a new section of pipe. I just can't decide now if I should buy a cheap wirefeed welder or take it somewhere.

Also, being in CA any parts I add would need to have a CARB number to be leagal for use on a smog controlled vehicle.

Anyone local to Oakland wanna drop in with a welder?

Got a camera ?, a picture is worth a thousand words..

then every one will know exactly what you are talking about.

Here are some pictues:

The pipe going to the cat

Another angle

The Manifold

Another view

Yet another

Still more

JessZ, thanks for the offer, but I'm hoping I can handle it. I got my hands on a nice cheap buzz-box and I'm gonna see what I can do, but I may just line everything up, tack it together, and take it down to a muffler shop. That is, providing I can unbolt the pipe from the front of the cat.

I ended up pulling it because I absolutely couldn't find the leak. It didn't fall into two pieces until I unbolted everything. I'm not so worried about welding on it, I'm just gonna cut out the rusty part. Asside from maybe 1" of rust along the pipe, everything else is rock solid, I've been checking it with a pointy hammer all over. Also, after getting everything out I found my gasket broken in several places also.