HybridZ

problems limiting results on the hobby

Kuntry, I in no way meant to offend anyone, I know full well that with age knowledge does not always follow. I'm happy to hear that some folks are still passing down years of know-how to young people, I'm just stating that it's not done nearly as much as years ago because of the fast pace of daily life today.

The money thing is always an issue to some degree, here's what I have done: I created a "car fund" account at my bank and it is called CAR FUND. The car fund gets $25 per week from my regular pay check then it gets any money that I make by selling car parts, being paid to help someone else on thier car etc. I also started working on the side after my regular job and all profit from that work goes into the car fund. What is important to keep in mind is that you can only use the money in the car fund for your car don't go borrowing money from somewhere else for one of those "great deals" that Grumpy mentioned earlier. If you don't have the money in your car fund for something don't get it yet as much as it may seem like it the one that got away is not the only one in the world. Spend wisely (PLANNING) because it is much easier to empty the car fund then it is to fill it.

Again as mentioned by Grumpy, get involved with a car club... don't just show up and be a lump in a chair Get Involved, be a part of the club then use your knowledge and skills to your advantage and learn from the other members knowledge and skills. I am detail oriented and good at building and assembling mechanical things, I have members of the club knocking on my garage door offering free labor in exchange for teaching and experiance and I do the exact same thing with some of the other club members so I can learn more skills.

The hardest part of the whole thing is like mentioned by someone else in this thread is "time" my day job has been very busy all summer and is still busy now, my side work has gone nuts lately and even though it is helping my car fund its killing my time and it has also caused me for the time being to have to turn down the free labor that has been offered to me but I intend to take advantage of that help real soon.

Dragonfly

I worked on a guys C6 a few weeks ago, Swaping some brake calipers for him, and between hanging out with him and chatting vettes and hanging out on Corvetteforum and chatting with the guys in the roadrace section there, I could easily own a new C6Z06 ONLY for the commeradery and the 100K mile warranty! :lmao:

Michael, I say buy one and keep plucking away at the Z. It'll divert money and time away from your Zcar project, but what the heck, you'll be driving something you enjoy! :2thumbs:

Mikelly

Kuntry, I in no way meant to offend anyone, I know full well that with age knowledge does not always follow. I'm happy to hear that some folks are still passing down years of know-how to young people, I'm just stating that it's not done nearly as much as years ago because of the fast pace of daily life today.

I hope it didnt come across that way... Im not offended at all, as a matter of fact, I agree with what you said. Its too bad that more knowledge isnt passed on from generation to generation more than it is. When my kids are old enough, Im going to teach them all I can... even if they dont get into cars like I am... maybe they can keep from getting screwed by mechanic shops.

GRUMPY,

I finance my project with E-bay sales. I buy used audio equipment in pawn shops and thrift stores, and resell it.

It's not a lot of money but it keeps me going.

MICHAEL,

You must realize that one of the best ways to overcome the fear is to just dive in and get your hands dirty.

Most of the time if you have a manual and a little patience you can get the job done, and after your'e finished you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner.

Mike.

73ZCAR... You need to change your "buying" strategy. Pawn shops can be okay sources for A/V gear (or other resell-able items) but they are FAR from the best. Don't misunderstand me... I did this too for a few months. When I finally figured out what I was doing on eBay, I bought and sold over the same mediam... on-line. I bought mostly from eBay but from other on-line auctions and classifieds too. Often, sellers have no idea what they have... or they're too desperate to sell quickly... or they do a lousy job of "selling" what they have. Just assure you buy at such a low price that, no matter what, you can at least break even after all expenses. Of course, feedback is a good indicator for taking bigger chances. Also... make sure you deal only in items that attract a more mature clientèle with more solid financial resources. In other words, car audio is OUT!!!

Before I took ill for awhile and lost my account, I was easily making $30+ per hour tax-free, which is like making $50 per hour. BTW... eBay SUX big-time when trying to resolve problems. I STRONGLY suggest that you have someone to back you up with every deal you make. If you have problems and you can't finalize a handful of deals, eBay is CRAPPY at helping you resolve them. Even if you have a 99+ percent feedback rating with 2000+ deals, eBay will abandon you and your clients. Just a caveat... and insights from an old eBay junkie.