HybridZ

Tripple webber turbo or superchargers?

Austin240Z

I am working slowly. oh so slowly, on a triple SK Racing, weber clones, with supercharger project. Do a search this has been discussed.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96875&highlight=GT-240

GT-240 was discussing removing his blow through turbo set up a while back, you might want to send him a message an see if he still has it.

That is an HKS Type 2 Surge Tank, a slightly refined version of the tank they produced in the early/mid 80's.

The guy who owns that car is named Leon, and yes, it's a very quick car! Most of them with that setup were! LOL

They work well, but having had one since about 1987, my advice is "Go EFI" wether you use the ITB setup or not, the EFI solves a LOT of drivability and heat-soak issues if you are in a hot climate running that setup.

BTW, I got 17mpg with my setup daily driving in SoCal Commuter Traffic 26K miles annually. About the same as the car go when I had measly stock SU's on it and had to rev the poop out of it to get it to move halfway like it did on the turbo and tripples!

I still have my L24 with triple SK blow through setup. The car has been sitting for the last 2 years and I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. Right now, the compressor bypass valve keeps lifting when I get to 10 psi boost. But if I drive it hard, I stink like fuel when I get out. I have been thinking about EFI with individual throttle bodies but haven't been willing to spend the cash.

I would be glad to send photos or answer any questions about my setup - I used to know the car inside and out - but it has been a while and now I have to refer to my notes to remind me of all the work I have done.

Glyn

70 240 L24T in storage

72 510 L20b yard ornament

87 4runner (commuter)

68 442 vert (family cruiser)

GT-240, have you considered removing the venturis from your existing carbs, and using them as throttle bodies? Install the Injectors in your intake manifold with some screw-in bungs, and you got something that definately looks old-school, but has EFI! Megasquirt would be ideal for this setup, basically you replumb for EFI just like any other MS Conversion.

Me, I got some tasty Old-School HKS ITB's and that HKS Surge Tank waiting to supplant my Mikuinis... Whenever I get the time. My Blowthrough turbo has been slated to be EFI upgraded for many years...in the interim it's "been resting" LOL!

Tony D - I wasn't aware I could use my carbs as throttle bodies. I'll do some research on that. If I can sell my 510, I plan on rolling the $2000 into my Z. EFI is getting cheaper so it is now a possibility. I was thinking TWM ITBs and MegaSquirt - not sure on the ignition side as I already have MSD with built in boost retard. I know there is a lot of info on this - I just haven't looked yet.

Glyn

Tony D - I wasn't aware I could use my carbs as throttle bodies. I'll do some research on that. If I can sell my 510, I plan on rolling the $2000 into my Z. EFI is getting cheaper so it is now a possibility. I was thinking TWM ITBs and MegaSquirt - not sure on the ignition side as I already have MSD with built in boost retard. I know there is a lot of info on this - I just haven't looked yet.

Glyn

There is an old issue of CCC from the UK where a guy took old Weber 40DCOE's and cut them all up, and epoxied injector bungs into them and used them as the ITB's. I think that is a bit counterproductive. On Mikuinis (hell, any of these carbs) you can remove all the internal restrictions with a couple of Screws. Lock those screws in place with the facory Jam Nuts and maybe pull the cover to remove the floats, just for insurance, and run em that way. No need to screw up the things. Install the Injectors using a fuel rail and either screw-in bungs or Weld-In bungs on the Triple Manifold, and you are set! You can run the TPS off the cross bar linkage by adding another lever, and using a device sold by Kinsler Fuel Injecton to mount the TPS on the manifold, and connecting it with the additional lever. (It's a Universal TPS mount, I believe---it was used by Kinsler when they change their Mechanical Fuel Injection Units over to Electric---mounts on the return valve plate, and the linkage is already there, soooo.... Uses a standard GM TPS, and you can specify RH or LH rotation of the device so it's pretty configurable.)

Using that Kinsler TPS thing, you could use just about anywhere on the throttle linkage of any Z-Car to mount (hide) your TPS---like on the firewall, on the balance tube of a set of SU's, etc.

And the big advantage of this is you don't hack up your carbs, they can always be restored to their former glory and sold... LOL!