HybridZ

zx conversion header question

I tried to set the 383 in the car today... the headers i have are hitting the power steering. I have a home made mount which is basically a rectangle that mounts to the stock datsun mount... then a spacer i believe 2.25" and then a triangle shaped chevy mount. so basically the mounts are just lifted... no setback plate etc. the header i have is a center dump type block hugger header. the flange of the header hits the steering box before the mount even gets to the stock datsun mount. the 3 options i see that i can do is

1. use stock manifolds... question is how much will this hurt my HP?? 10-20 hp?

2. find a new header that still hugs the block.. but the tubes go to the rear of the header before dumping down. anyone know of a style like this?

3. use a setback plate. then i have the issue of having to get a different balancer, and my distributor being SO close to the firewall.

ANYONE with a converted zx that can please tell me how their engine is mounted, and what headers they used i will GREATLY appreciate it.

By the way... i searched... came up with some posts, but mainly just people asking how hard the swap is...

The only way to use a header with the reciprocating ball type P/S system is to build one. I believe you can use the "old ram horn" style manifolds on both sides. There is not a set of headers that will fit our car unless you have the power rack and pinion set up from the 82-83 280zx. It would probably be cheaper and easier to have some make you a header(unless your up to the task).

I built one for my car. It was very time consuming thats for sure but atlest now I have 2 headers!

header_done-267x178.jpg

(Its JETHOT COATED now though,so its nice looking:-) )

Guy

i do have the 83 280zx.. guess i should have put that in the original post... i found a set of truck headers that are real tight to the block... go toward the back w/o dipping down very low at all...then angle down near the back of the block... i am PRETTY sure these look like they will work.. im going to buy them and if they do ill post for you guys the info. if not... i guess i have to use a manifold or do like you and custom make some... although i dont have a welder.... may have to use grumpyvette's method that he posted in one of the links... then just bite the bullet and have them made..

thanks for the post cole... when i started this project they didnt have a zx conversion kit... lol i made my engine mounts for the "zero setback position" which is... directly over the old mounts. i may chunk my mounts and buy the jtr ones since they now offer them for the zx. the headers i have may work then... if not ill auction them off and order a set of jtr's.. thats not a bad price for that radiator either... ill post the outcome either way i go.... thanks for all the feedback guys! ill post how it all works out w/instructions for anyone that may want to use this kit

Ok what type of P/S system do you have? You made it sound like you have a reciprocating ball type steering system. Do you have the large gear box on the drivers fender or a rack and pinion? If you have a gear box then the JTR mounts still wont work with their headers.

Guy

JTR sells block hugger headers for the ZX conversion with a power RACK steering, I used them on my 83 ZX conversion fit perfect in the set back position, I used a 85 Camaro rad. and upper mount/shroud with 7 blade declutch engine fan and have zero cooling problems. I'v been driving the car for a month now and it's really a sweet ride, PM me if I can help you out.

i have the 83 rack PS... the linkage for the steering is right beside the engine mount... and the header i have comes down right behind the engine mount.. i kind of didnt want to have to put it in the setback position.. didnt want to have to modify the hood latch. does your balancer clear the steering ok paz?

no i havent tried any manifolds... how much HP will i lose using reg manifolds over headers? 15-20 hp? i thought about manifolds... and have access to a pair i can use i believe... just dont want to sacrifice alot of HP

Edit: here is a pic of the steering setup.. http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/10-30-2006_001.jpg

see where the original datsun mount is on the driver side... the part of the steering that is directly behind that is what my header is hitting...

Your going to have to bolt that steering shaft together to try to fit the engine header combination into the car, engine won't be much good if you can't steer the car, and NO I would not try to move the steering shaft or modify it unless your feeling lucky.

it wasnt hitting the shaft... it was hitting the little blue box that the shaft comes out of. i had the steering column out because im also in the process of making a new dash from the 280zx one... OR trying to swap in a 280z dash (i like the way they look better, and the dash im trying to make is almost the EXACT same as a 280z dash) i found a set of truck headers that hug the block.. and exit at the back of the block... let me see if i can find a pic... http://i4.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/78/2a/1cf7_1.JPG there... they look like they may REALLY fit with the engine at the zero setback position like i have... im tempted to buy them.. and if they dont fit just resell them.. they look pretty promising though.

I am NOT trying to tell you what to do but, you need to set the engine and trans in the car first, reguardless of set back postion it needs to be offset to the pass, side 3/4 in. so the engine and trans are in line with the differental (rear) which is 3/4 in. offset. When that is done you can try a different set of headers or cast iron manifolds, I doubt if the truck headers will fit, on the pass. side they will dump onto your starter and /or hit the inside of the frame rail. The JTR mounts the engine lower, you may have hood clearence issues with the carb and air cleaner.

i saw the truck headers too and was thinking it the would work on my 83 280zx. i'll be using the jtr mounts and if i cant find a set of headers i'll just use the ones jtr sells for now, but i dont like the primaries being so small (1 5/8"). I have to say i'm excited about my swap. i just bought a set of brodix track one heads that are fully ported and polished that flow 304 @ .700. should bring my 350 alive. but anyway tell us how the truck headers fit.

You may have a problem with those truck headers hitting the tranny,Dude.

I just finshed putting in a 406 sbc/T56 tranny in my 280zx.

Had a set of "TRI-Y" headers that fit close to the block but had to get them heavily modified. Cost me $1,200 with mufflers that stop under the car ,about where the seats are.

You can get away cheap if your willing to put in a non power assisted rack and pinion from and older Datsun,but it is labour intense,cause you have to support the engine and change the K member as well.

Dont think your gonna win this one that easily,lol