HybridZ

Heavy-duty headlight harness help needed

RedNeckZ

Hello all,

:eek: Before I get started, I have done the search and didn't find out the info I needed. Thanks to Sean73 for most of the info provided. Now, I have 1971 240Z that I am adding the heavy-duty harness (72-040) (page 61) from Black Dragon Auto to. The instructions are not that great. You have to splice it into the system in a few places, it is not a bolt in as advertised. First, I have had to splice the harness thru the headlight bucket, the plug wouldn't fit throught. Had to add wire to passenger side to get it to fit at all. But the part I have to work out is where it goes back into the harness for high/low control switch. It gives you a three prong plug-in with no where for it to go. Sean73 gave me the info that you had to use the plug-in harness already in place on the old harness. You have to cut off the three prong plug and slice it into one of the plug-ins to get the harness to work. After I did that, I had low beams only. But I also now have the problem of the headlight (driver side only) blowing out after going five blocks down the road. I know I have a short some where in the harness. But the question I have is why doesn't the high beams work? Do I need to splice into both of the connectors for the old harness system or do I have the wires in the wrong splice? I am not that great with electrical problems and don't know how to fix this problem. I did this to improve my headlights which were dim on the driver's side. Any help would be greatly appreciated to an old fart like me. Thanks, Rich.:bonk:

It's been so long since I've fooled with the electrical system, but it sounds like the original problem was simply a bad electrical ground on the dim headlight.

Anyway, other than that, I'd make sure you've got the correct wires spliced to the correct wires. When I did mine, I used a voltmeter to verify the high and low, and ground wire prior to any splicing, and I seem to remember that it was not an "intuitive" arrangement.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, I've been a member for a little while but rarely post here. I thought I'd throw a few things your way. Yes it's a link to classiczcars.com but that's where I live half the time and that;s where my adds are.

I make the headlight and parking light upgrade harness's for the 240Z's (only)

headlight relay upgrade harness...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20365

Parking light relay upgrade harness...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20151

you can also reach me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com if you have further questions.

Dave.

• 7 months later...
I'll vouch for Dave's harnesses too. Took about 20 minutes to put in the headlight harness with no splicing and a noticable improvement in the strength of my headlights. Put me back in the day/night street fighter category.

Thanks Guys,

I've sold over 500 headlight harness's so far. Most in the U.S. but have shipped to the U.K. AUstralia, Japan, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany and many other world-wide locations.

Almost 99% of the customers have had nothing but Praise on the harness and it's ease of install. Not to mention how many people write me the next day saying "holy Crap Dave, I can drive at night again. Thank you SOOO much"

It's definately My Pleasure to be of service to so many who love their Zcar more than anything else. Yes, I charge for the harness's but your Thanks are an intirely different payment in itself.

Dave.