HybridZ

383 stroker and tranny questions please help

Will a turbo 400 transmission fit behind a 383 stroker in a 79 280zx? Im trying to build from the ground up, and i have only had my car for two days but already loving it. also what as far suggestions would you guys have im thinking about 400-450 hp and forged internals so i can boost someday. Thinking about 10.5 to 1 comp what do you guys think? ohh yeah did i mention i want to have this on the road by christmas lol

It should fit. However, Without the right induction parts, Who knows what it will truly make. I've seen 383 strokers turn 275 at the wheels. If I had it to do all over again, I'd do a built LS2-402 stroker. Since you're building from scratch, you might want to think about that one...

Mike

Welcome to hybridZ and congrats on the new Z! I have a 79 ZX, too but am going much smaller(305 and 700r4):) Is the car going to be used for crusing and daily driving? If so you may want to look into overdrive transmissions (700r4, 2004r, 4l80e) as they will save you quite a bit on gas. Try looking at BowTie Overdirves.

Welcome to hybridZ and congrats on the new Z! I have a 79 ZX, too but am going much smaller(305 and 700r4):) Is the car going to be used for crusing and daily driving? If so you may want to look into overdrive transmissions (700r4, 2004r, 4l80e) as they will save you quite a bit on gas. Try looking at BowTie Overdirves.

Agree 110%...

Mike

I am building on a budget and I have the 383 stroker with throttle body and all the goodies (turn key engine) for a dirt cheap price because I did some electrical work for the guy. He is asking 1000 bucks so I cant pass it it is already built and putting down approx 400-425 horse so its a good start. Plus I will be driving this alot not daily but when you got a new toy you gotta play lol. does anyone know for sure that the 400 will fit my dad is a manager at a tranny shop so i buy wholesale and i just need to know if it will fit. Thanks for the hint on the compression i think i will drop it i would like to eventually set it up for twin turbo's:)

I would say get the book and read it a couple of times. That would make it easier, as would keeping you original wiring if possible. I ripped out a perfectly good harness. If you are using a SBC, carbureted is not a bad way to go. As far as T56's they are a lot cheaper than they used to be. I need to get a decent tune and crank the boost up before I get some dyno numbers. The baseline numbers were 450 RWHP and 500 TQ, not great but there's a lot more in there.

Unless the seller has dyno sheets to show proven power, Be very cautious. Everyone under the sun "thinks" their SBC will make an "easy" 400-450 HP. I'm telling you from experience, there are a LOT of combos out there that simply don't make 3/4s that at the crank and some don't break 300HP at the wheels. You don't want to hear this, because it's a "DEAL". However, the "deal" sounds to good to be true... Proceed with caution.

Mike

I'v been driving my 83 ZX for about a month now, lots of fun, carbed 350 and 700R4, 3.54 rear gears. You may want to consider swaping your steering box (it's hard to fit headers with it) for a power rack from an 82 or 83 ZX, use JTR engine mounts, and hammer out the trans tunnel alittle. Don't think that you can just drop in the engine once and be good, had mine in and out 3 times to "adjust" the trans tunnel, welcome to the site.

Another vote for an OD transmission. After much research, I'm opting for the 4L80E. It's essentially the same transmission as the TH 400... one tough sun-of-a-gun... but with OD. My 3.9:1 differential spins my SBC way too high at speed. An OD is a MUST for my my ride.