HybridZ

California Smog...HELP

biohazard53188

Hi,

I was looking at the website smogcheck.com and I am very confused as to which year is the cut off date for smoging. I just got a 1976 280z thinking it was a 75 (big complicated story beheind this one) and i was wondering if 1976 cars are smog exempt? I was planning i putting the l28et motor in this car but if it has to pass smog i dont think it will work. HELP

Guest 280ZForce

it's very possible to do a l28et swap and still pass if you find a shop that doesnt care about under the hood and just runs the car for smog and if the engines burns clean. otherwise worse case scenario wait till the change the law again on the years and then you'll be exempt. or just pay for it under the table if it you can't get anyone to pass it.

it's very possible to do a l28et swap and still pass if you find a shop that doesnt care about under the hood and just runs the car for smog and if the engines burns clean. otherwise worse case scenario wait till the change the law again on the years and then you'll be exempt. or just pay for it under the table if it you can't get anyone to pass it.

Hmmmm.... I live in placer county and i think for my area code they only need to test for fumes.....ill go see tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Guest 280ZForce

yeah of course...everywhere in CA you have to pass smog visually and physically by law. some shops are cool about the visual aspect if you have a aftermarket header, intake, exhaust, etc that is not carb approved as long as you pass fumes they won't give you sh*t about it.

If you can get ahold of the JTR "Fuel Injected Motor Swapping Manual", or whatever it's called, there's a chapter about smogging a car with a swapped motor. It's not only possible, it isn't that tough. The gist is that the new motor has to be the same year as the old one or newer, and all the original smog gear on the new motor has to be present and functional. This includes converters, unless the original car didn't have them. Once you get it rolling, you take it to a referee (once) and you'll get a tag that will allow you to smog the vehicle legally forever and ever. There have been a few threads in the past about smogging swaps, with links, but I'm sick and don't have the energy to look them up.

I have to agree, do the swap, and just go to the referee to get the thing certified. This is a VERY easy swap to get legal. You already have all the chassis required items on the vehicle (Catalyst, EVAP cannister, ETC). Basically swap the ENTIRE 280ZX control system into the earlier chassis, and it will go through the inspection, providing the engine passed smog in the other chassis. You still have to pass, and the referee will put a sticker in your doorjamb that states you will be inspected to 198X standards (whatever the donor engine came from) Doing later ingine in earlier car is EASY. It's the other way round they say "no can do!"

BTW, you are NOT "Exempt" with a 1975. You are not required to undergo biannual TESTING, but you are still required to COMPLY with the applicable smog regulations on your vehicle for the year manufactured. Recently the local police up north have been cracking down in some municipalities on modified vehicles, and sending people in to the referee stations if they find "illegal modifications" on the vehicles. NOWHERE in the CVC are you EXEMPTED from COMPLIANCE on ANY vehicle registered for the street.

You get stuck for a referee check in a 73, and fail the sniffer or visual and you get stuck back into the smog program! (regardless of year of maufacture) There are "informational campaigns" on what the police are to clue on when checking a car at a roadside stop that would give them probable cause to check for illegal modifications. Monster Tachs, Aero Kits, etc... Call it "performance profiling"...

Dirty Little Secrets of the SMOG program...

Yeah, very easy to swap in a BONE STOCK L28ET. Who wants that? Put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on and you'll FAIL the visual. Swapping in a stock turbo motor is a waste of time I think. If you have to go bone stock, you might want to start with something that makes some decent power, LT1, LS1, etc.

I'd find a 75, then not drive like an idiot or put big stripes and a wing on it. Do your racing at the track, and you'll be fine. I never even got pulled over in my Z when I lived in CA.

Just my $.02,