HybridZ

VIN number innformation

deja

I tried looking up the VIN on my 1977 280Z on the internet but apparently some pre 1981 cars have less than 17 digits (mine = HLS30404431) and all the look up sites require 17 digits. What I would like to know is if there is a way to determine stock configuration (like rear gear ratio) from the VIN number. If not, is there any way to know for sure without removing the diff cover. Using those formulas won't work on my car since it’s a V8 conversion and the tach has not been calibrated for the V8 and I don't have access to a V8 tach.

• 1 month later...
What I would like to know is if there is a way to determine stock configuration (like rear gear ratio) from the VIN number. If not, is there any way to know for sure without removing the diff cover.

The short answer is no. All the Vin number will tell you is HLS30.... It's a left hand drive 240Z thru 280Z Datsun. It was the 404,431 car produced of the S30 model.

LARRY

The short answer is no. All the Vin number will tell you is HLS30.... It's a left hand drive 240Z thru 280Z Datsun. It was the 404,431 car produced of the S30 model. LARRY

Actually, It does and it doesn't.

It tells you it's either a 240 or 280. RLS would be a 260Z

Given the number (over 156466 or thereabouts) chances are good it's a 280Z, but early model 280Z's would have similar Numbers as the early 240's, save they have a couple more Zeroes preceeding them. My 1970 is HLS30-06225, where the Six-thousand-two hundred and twenty-fifth 280Z would be HLS30-006225.

But like he said, "the short answer is no"---you have to break down the vehicles by observed list of options installed at the factory and physical observation.

Dropping the moustache bar or differential is not that big a deal to clean it out of accumulated sludge and positively identify the ratio---though as stated it's usually 3.545 in the 280's.

Good Luck.