HybridZ

I put a 3.36 rear diff into my z and damn

Overkill Z

DAMN its awsome i recomend this gear ratio to everyone!!!! if u are puttn a new rear diff into your z change the ratios!! to 3.36!!! i kept up with a 400hp SS el camino today!!! i smoke late model m3s now!!! it made my car less quick but much faster! the power come on nice and smoothe and the car pulls forever..i consider this a MUST modification for z's...i didnt think it would help but man it did...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool you found one!!!

Now you say you kept up with a El Camino. Granted he's running 400hp (did you see a dyno sheet for this?) What gears is he running, what tranny?

What engine set up are you running, tranny? What were you running gear wise before?

Smoke late model M3's where stop light to stop light or freeway top end?

Not trying to beat you down or call you out but would like to know more info on your set up.

I plan on switching from a 3.7LSD to a 3.54 keeping the LSD. The tranny is a WC T-5, may swap out to a T-56 if funds allow.

I want one... does anyone know someone selling a good one at a decent price? My 3.9:1 is just too low for my driving style. BTW, regarding gears, does it make any difference if my R200 is a long or short nose?

I've got a 3.36 in the Scarab and don't really find the gear set that amazing. (sorry not for sale) Scarab is coupled with a 4 speed manual, sure it has top end, but low end grunt is not up to my expectations, no big deal I've always got the JTR car for that.

3.36 R200's came in the 74 260Z 2+2 and the 79 280ZX 2+2. I believe those are the only two models that came with that ratio R200.

That said making a blanket recommendation for rear gears is pretty pointless. 3.36 would be absolutely horrible on my car with triple sidedrafts. What it would probably be good for is a turbo L6 car, a buick v6 turbo car, or a V8 without overdrive.

3.36 R200's came in the 74 260Z 2+2 and the 79 280ZX 2+2. I believe those are the only two models that came with that ratio R200.

That said making a blanket recommendation for rear gears is pretty pointless. 3.36 would be absolutely horrible on my car with triple sidedrafts. What it would probably be good for is a turbo L6 car, a buick v6 turbo car, or a V8 without overdrive.

Where is a good list of what ratio came in what now days? I found this but it's not as specific as I would like...Thanks http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html

True, true.

Matching rear gear ratio to transmission gears, tire size, and desired RPM is the best approach to take. Searching here and the WWW you'll be able to make a solid decision on what works best with you combination. Or just slap in a set of 3.36's ;) j/k.

I can tell you what doesn't work too well is 3.90's with a T-5 for the street (350 engine car), but for a short track or tight twisty road works out pretty well not much gear shifting working the within the power band of the engine

Excellent. I have one with a fedex tracking number due to be deliverred any day. Did you leave it open?

yes i did leave it open i couldnt afoord an lsd kit at the time...later i will!!! but i dunno i already get sideways when i dump the clutch...and leave two solid darkies...the rear end was a referbished one i got 4 400 bucks and i installed it myself in my garage..

Cool you found one!!!

Now you say you kept up with a El Camino. Granted he's running 400hp (did you see a dyno sheet for this?) What gears is he running, what tranny?

What engine set up are you running, tranny? What were you running gear wise before?

Not trying to beat you down or call you out but would like to know more info on your set up.

I plan on switching from a 3.7LSD to a 3.54 keeping the LSD. The tranny is a WC T-5, may swap out to a T-56 if funds allow.

THe guy said his el caminoa had a 383 stroker motor in it with a power glide tranny now im not saying i beat him as soon as i hit 4th gear he started to pull away from me..but until then i was dead even with him and i know in the quater mile i never really get into 4th gear anyways!! im running the oringinal l28 that i rebuilt and had bored to a 3 liter with forged pistons and higher compressions... i hav the stock cam in it still tho :(..i have intake...headers and a flam thrower coil...(next is msd this weekend) i have a 280zx tranny 5 spd...and my rear end used to be 3.56 stock...

Cool you found one!!!

i had a 3.56 stock and i found i was shifting alot and not going anywhere

Your very fortunate.... not everyone has access to a 3:36 R200 to swap out to. I'm sure you've heard that that gear ratio is very hard to come across.

I don't think I saw where you said it, but you are refering to the long nose R200 with the 3:36 R&P, correct?

yeah i know lucky for me i have two shops in the bay area that specialize in z cars... i get my parts through them...

That gear ratio on a NA L28 engine should make the car accelerate slower, but you'll be able to go to a higher speed in each gear. I'm wondering if you really put in a 3.36, or maybe you actually got a 3.90 or something. A 3.90 would definitely make the car faster.

This might help others trying to figure out what gear ratio to get: http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/