HybridZ

turbo idea

gjc5500

ok, i came upon a turbo out of a old 300zxt. just to be different and make the IC piping ez, could i plum the exhaust off of my stock manifold and route it to the OTHER side of the engine and have the turbo down near where the oil filter is/was(gonan relocate). then run the ic pipe out to the IC and to a surge tank to my carbs. woudl this work?

Yes you "could," but I don't see it as being the best setup for a turbo application. STS Turbo Systems run a remote turbo setup and have pretty good success. However I don't know about the 300zx turbo, but it will most likely be pretty laggy and you probably won't be able to force much boost through it.

Out of curiosity, why not run a turbo manifold and turbo setup? Would be much easier to do and probably net your more WHP.

Tyson

i only plan on running like 7psi. The turbo manifold makes the engine bay look cluttered. this will be all stainless piping and polished aluminum ic tubing. i figured lagg woudl be an issue. but how does the sts run w/o lagging alot. ive seen them incars and run great

yea, i dont plan on running it that remote. the reson i want to mount on the passenger side is bc i can run to the ic w/o double backing to the same side, i can get the oil from that side, less heat to build under the carbs, and it will be in plain site and look good

If it was a Z31 (thats 85-89 300zx), then its the same exact turbo as the one your car has on it now. It just has water cooling.

You could just as easily get a l28et setup. And how are you going to setup your carbs? any way you do it your going to need alot of parts.

i plan on building a box for them to keep pressure equilized. Ive done alot of research on this and find this to be my best bet with what ive got/know. I figured i would have to sheild the plugs. The A/C compressor is gonna be pulled out to make some room(isnt charged and never plan to charge it)