HybridZ

SBC and the T56, which one?

gvincent

I searched and posted and emailed McCleod and Lakewood.

the post "Gen. 1 block/ T-56 trany swap." by Mongo510 back in july was nevr finished so I don't know what was the outcome.

I was under the impression that to use a T56 behind a 383 Stroker SBC one just needed a T56 from an LT1 motor and just had to have the LT1 flywheel attached to the SBC. AM I wrong????

I know you need the Weir, Lakewood, or McCleod.

etech form McCleod wrote:

The ls kit is cheaper and easier because it's a push style clutch and the lt 6-speed from 1993-97 is a pull style clutch. The push style clutch offer more choices in regards to bellhousings and clutches. The pull style limits you to one choice for pressure plates. No sfi bellhousings are available for this set up without converting it to a push style set up. I hope this clears things up a bit for you, if not give me a call & I'll explain it further.

I had asked:

Curious about your last statement, “this kit is cheaper and easier that trying to mate an Lt 6 speed to a sbc.â€

I thought a T56 1997 or earlier from and LT1 would be a direct bolt-up and only require a different flywheel for the SBC?

Am I missing something here?

So do I search and find an LS1 or an LT1 T56 transmission? I will be getting the transmissions complete with master and slave cylinders, clutch, pressure plate etc. as these will be pull outs from a junkyard, I cannot afford a brand new T56.

Now I am getting more confused.

This seems to contradict everything I have read on this site concerning SBC and the T56??

I need comfirmation from somebody who has done this set-up and what did he have to change?

This has major implications on which engine/trans combo I decide to go with so I need to validate the different combinations.

Thanks,

Greg

93-97 T56 (LT1 style), has the correct bellhousing to mate to the later model 1 piece rear main. I used everything from the LT1 (Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel) and it bolted up to my 86 up block and works great. I used the Tilton 7/8" master cylinder with a stainless braided clutch line to the late model T5 Slave.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see your talking about the earlier style block. Not the same deal, sorry about that.

Pounds9oh9,Marcus

Thanks for the info,No actually I was looking for information on SBC in general, so 86 and older with 1 piece rear main seal is a direct bolt up to the 93-97 T56? as long as I have a complete LT1 flywheel and clutch setup I am good to go? Older 2 piece rear main seal/pre1986 SBC rerquire a different setup that McCleod is talking about?

I just want to make sure as I have little leeway budget wise to have to buy bell housing, flywheel, clutch etc. so I want to make the correct, easiest and cheapest choice the first time on which motor for which type t56 combination.

Thanks,

Greg

The 93 - 97 LT1 T56, and bellhousing will bolt up to pre '86 block, but you have to buy an aftermarket flywheel, and clutch assembly. They are not cheap. I bought my flywheel, and clutch from Centerforce and I think the price was around $600

Wier has a kit for SBC blocks that except either the LT1 or LS1 T56s : http://www.weirhotrodproducts.com/

• 4 months later...
Guest jmsmith37

All i needed was a conversion flywheel to get my 1971 400sb with two piece rear seal to match up with the 1996 camaro ss t56. I used the stock bell housing and a spec 3 clutch (after market lt1 clutch and presure plate all other lt1 clutches would work the same). i looked aroud for a while on the flywheel and the best one i could find was an aluminum flywheel from ram the part# was ram 2555 from summit and 2555 from ram but centerforce makes a steel one but its about 20lbs heavier and the mcleod was about 200$ more and I dont think it was aluminum either

I did the same thing as Mike kZ and used the Centerforce flywheel. It is pricey, though, and if I had to do it again I would probably use the Weir Bellhousing (more and cheaper clutch/flywheel options), but the Centerforce part is 700107.

*edit* just saw this thread is dated back a ways...sorry

I used a Keisler t-56 with an included adapter plate that bolted directly to my 1970-style bellhousing. I used a standard 168 tooth flywheel and an 11 inch clutch with a Howe hydraulic throwout bearing (approx $150 at Summit). It has worked very well for 2 1/2 years. Be sure you use the roller pilot bearing.

Tremec has a part number for the T-56 with the adapter plate installed.

• 1 year later...

I recently installed a t56 in my car and all it took was the centerforce flywheel (424$) t56 tranny out of a 97 trans am( amazing deal simply stole it 400$) and i have a 94 f body that is currently out of comission that i robbed my short shifter and spec stage 3 clutch of. Also i used the 7/8 tilton master cylinder with a t5 slave. My driveshaft length ended up being 18.5 in center to center of the u joint. Hope any of that helped.