HybridZ

I Dyno'd My Z

Overkill Z

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good run.

I'm with Piper... details would be appreciated... cam, head, intake, exhaust, fuel, ignition, comp. ratio, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks,

borded to a 3 liter.. fordged high compression pistons..motorsport headers...custom intake...flamethrower coild and low rms wires...no cat..3 inch stainless xhaust pipe...STOCK CAM :( thats next....300zx fuel pump...underdriven pullys...umm..i thats all i can think of at the moment...that run was with octane booster and all...i want more!!! i think after its smog exempt..time for my skyline motor!!!

what program did you use? I just use windows movie maker. It came with windows XP...

i used a program that came with my camera...picture perfect...i dont put too much effort into vids i have a friend that does it professionally..ever heard of JRK studios? ill ask him if i can give u guys a link to his page

Yeah, a cam is going to make a huge difference. I have almost identical numbers and I am running an L26 block bored 30 over with Crane fireball, 2 1/2" exhaust, triple Webers, .460" lift 270/280 duration cam and forged flat tops, with a 6200 RPM power peak. My limiting factor is the lack of flow on my E31 head since I am running the stock valves. I have an E88 head with 44 mm intake and 38mm exhaust vavles that I am going to port and setup for 8000 RPMs to get a power boost. You'll get a bunch more out of a three liter especially if set up to rev higher.

• Administrators

Ok, I couldn’t resist.

2 days ago, Saturday, we also ran an essentially stock N/A L-28 that we built, on a Mustang dyno in Vancouver WA. First and foremost, this is a show car, not a performance car. An absolutely stunning ’76 2+2 car. We built the bottom end BONE stock, OE Dished pistons, etc. Not even balanced. The head, well it is a bit massaged. The head is one our custom N-42 heads, extensive valve unshrouding, 4 and 5 angle valve seat work, back cut valves, mild street porting in the ports, carved off the front inspection cover and fuel pump boss and welded those in. The owner then had the entire exterior of the head polished. Definitely a one of kind L-series cylinder head. The entire valve train is bone stock with the original ’76 Cam etc. Intake manifold and throttle valve are stock ZX parts with only visual enhancements, the EFI is also all original bone stock ’76 components, just visually altered as it is a show car. The only other performance enhancements other than the chamber/port work is the 6-2-1 header with a single 2 ¼” exhaust system and Electramotive DIS ignition with Magnecor wires. No other power enhancements. With the extensive valve unshrouding, the comp ratio is a paltry 8.1:1. This set up hasn’t even really been dialed in either, (hence the fat AFR), only seat of the pants tuning. This Dyno session was just baseline for future mods, (the car is currently under mine and Rons knife in the shop right now).

On the Mustang Dyno, this very low compression N/A L-28 running pretty fat AFR, produced 160 HP, 161 lb/ft of torque. Nothing to write home about, but for a very low compression stock L-28, not too shabby.

FWIW, another essentially stock L-28 that we built a P-79 head for using a stock cam, stock intake and EFI, 6-1 header and 2-1/2” exhaust and again, only seat of the pants tuned, produced pert neer identical HP and torque at Torque Freaks, (Dyno jet), last year.

Both of these cars mentioned are currently receiving new WOLF 3d engine management, car pictured is getting a new manifold as well….

Aggressive Cam, intake, and some dyno tuning would definitely wake both of these cars up, A LOT!!!!

Clint.jpg

Clint1Medium.jpg

Clint2Medium.jpg

Paul

Let me tell you polishing a cylinder head is a ROYAL PAIN!!! I am doing that to a head of mine and the parts I have spent some time on look just as good as that head. Those rocker arm pivot bulges right above the spark plugs are really fun to get inbetween... :-) NOT!!!

that head was just a little bit of work...lol. Casting marks/imperfections are fun to get past as well...:-P