HybridZ

do I understand this right?

big-phil

If I follow these directions

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

do you see the 4th line that says "Jumper IGBTOUT to IGN to send to IGBT ignition coil driver signal out of pin 36 on the DB37"

has that been done in this picture?

http://www.diyautotune.com/images/cartech_articles/280zx/msnse_led17-d14_thru_vb921011.jpg

just to the left of the left-end of the black jumper wire. Is it saying I need to put a jumper from the "IGBOUT" to "IGN"

I think I have the jumper WIRE understood, its just line 4 I want to understand.

From that picture, it looks like you already have the jumpers needed for using the VB921 coil driver with MSnS-E already set up.

Although that sensor is an optical rather than Hall effect, the wiring is the same. The biggest difference is that the description on our site shows an external pull-up resistor, while the drawings Trwebb posted show an internal pull-up. They look a little different, but function the same way.

I don't mean to go off the topic, but I have a question regarding the Trigger Input for my setup. If anyone knows how this should be wired, I'd appreciate it:

MS V 3.0

MSnS for Fuel Only (wanted 12X12 VE tables)

81 ZX Dizzy (CAS)

Crane H-6 Ignition Box

I think I have pretty much everything figured out (output out to the Ign box and to the dizzy)... the "MS1 Extra code Ignition Hardware manual" specifies the Output setup to an Ign box very well...... my question is, if I'm running fuel only, do I have to go through all of these steps to setup the Trigger Input goping to the MS box? If so, how? I was not sure, because I am not using my MS or MSnS to control spark.... does anyone happen to know how it should be set?

I don't mean to go off the topic, but I have a question regarding the Trigger Input for my setup. If anyone knows how this should be wired, I'd appreciate it:

MS V 3.0

MSnS for Fuel Only (wanted 12X12 VE tables)

81 ZX Dizzy (CAS)

Crane H-6 Ignition Box

I think I have pretty much everything figured out (output out to the Ign box and to the dizzy)... the "MS1 Extra code Ignition Hardware manual" specifies the Output setup to an Ign box very well...... my question is, if I'm running fuel only, do I have to go through all of these steps to setup the Trigger Input goping to the MS box? If so, how? I was not sure, because I am not using my MS or MSnS to control spark.... does anyone happen to know how it should be set?

If you're using a Megasquirt in fuel only mode, you can simplify the tach output a bit. I don't think a H-6 lets you trigger off the negative terminal of the coil, but it probably has a tach output wire that will serve as a perfectly good tach input for Megasquirt. Usually that will work with a standard trigger-off-the-coil or Hall/Opto circuit with no pull-up resistor or anything.

From that picture, it looks like you already have the jumpers needed for using the VB921 coil driver with MSnS-E already set up.

Although that sensor is an optical rather than Hall effect, the wiring is the same. The biggest difference is that the description on our site shows an external pull-up resistor, while the drawings Trwebb posted show an internal pull-up. They look a little different, but function the same way.

thanks Matt, I got that picture off your web site. So the external pullup resistor will work fine. Thanks

If you're using a Megasquirt in fuel only mode, you can simplify the tach output a bit. I don't think a H-6 lets you trigger off the negative terminal of the coil, but it probably has a tach output wire that will serve as a perfectly good tach input for Megasquirt. Usually that will work with a standard trigger-off-the-coil or Hall/Opto circuit with no pull-up resistor or anything.

Matt, thanks... I'll try the Crane Tach Out to the MS tach/trigger in. I'll toggle the different settings on MSnS and see if I can pick up the signal. If I can avoid resistors and jumping wires, I'll be happy. I'll report back in case anyone else is using a Crane or MSD box... thanks again.

THe instructions said i didn't NEED to install a pull-up with my MS-II and optical dizzy, but I did anyway (internal pullup is only 300mA or something like that) just to be sure. The 1.2K 1/4W resistor I used fits nicely in the dizzy wiring. I'm using the VB driver and the stock coil wiring and such. (this way it also triggers the stock tach) I did remove the 'transistor ignition module' from the car, and hardwired the coil feed directly to the ECU wire. (If you don't you're going through another set of contacts that you don't need)

Plus, this allowed me to use the red and green wires from the module to power the Electric fan relay I installed.

THe red wire was spliced into the original ign module power wire, and the green wire was connected to my MS pin 30 (FIDLE), so now my electric fan turns on through the megasquirt

make sure you clean the board with acetone real good, wash it off, dry it, and seal it to protect from the elements when you're done in there...

you might still need to install external pullup..I had to on my Z but it's easy enough...just place the 1k resistor between the red and white wire (12vdc in and LED) on the dizzy wires.