HybridZ

Info for a LS2 swap

Guest skatetampa84

Guest skatetampa84

Getting out of college in the spring and plan to buy a 240Z and swap a LS2 into it. Have been trying to read up on what I'm going to need to get this done. Is there anything specific I should be looking for when buying my Z for the easiest swap. Also which mount kit do you recommend for an LS2 with a T56 trans?

Of course I have no idea what you intend to do with the 240Z/LS2 but, with that amount of torque available under your right foot you should certainly look into chassis mods to stiffen it up and brake mods to wow her down. Also, later 1972 and newer 240, 260 & 280 Zs have thicker gauge sheet metal in the chassis than do the early 240Zs. When shopping for a Z, you always want to look for rust....the less the better! Spend some time searching through the archives. You will find and incredible amount of useful information.

Tom

I think the most important thing to look for is a fairly straight car with very little to no rust. 240Z's are still relatively cheap, and like alot of people find out, the Z car purchase is one of the cheapest major components of the swap!

John's cars has the kit for LSX swaps, or you can do it yourself like several other members here have done.

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

Guest skatetampa84

Tom, thanks for the info on 72-newer models. I am most likely going to mod the suspension and braking shortly after getting a V-8 in there. Bartman, thanks for the link to the JCI site. I wanted to start pulling a lot of info together now so that way I won't be missing anything when I start this project.

Get the JTR book and the Helm's manuals for the donor car. Make sure you get the gas pedal assembly and the clutch master cyl. And get all the hoses and stuff they will let you have. Also the MAF. Then you will need to get a 98-02 firebird/camaro oil pan, windage tray, pickup tube and dipstick and tube. And a camaro/firebird motor mount for the left side. If the donor is a GTO, you will need a shifter, like a B&M. And make sure you get all the harness and ECM. Once again, get the books. And last but certainly not least- Make friends with MAS280 and Ulises on this site!

Mike