HybridZ

My latest combo - mn47 L28

Rebird

I just wanted to share my latest combo as a whole bunch has been written about the mn47 maxima head. The motor is a low mileage L28 with flat top pistons, ported mn47 head, delta 280/460 camshaft and delorto triples. This combo replaced a stock L26 with the same delorto triples. Although i only have a couple hours on this combo, here are my thoughts if anyone is interested. 1) The power difference is huge over the stock L26!!! Night and day!! The drivability is also much better because of the increase in low end torque and throttle response. 2) The mn47 head and L28 flat tops with full timing (35 degrees) is certainly doable with pump gas with a couple caviots; 93 octane Chevron pump gas and I cleaned up the chambers. I flogged it for a while and then checked the plugs with no signs of detonation. Ran it hard, ran is soft and no signs of detonation. I intentionally lugged it in fourth and fifth gear at low speeds and it did detonate. I never drive it like that, but it will detonate if you lug it!! 3) the 280 cam is very streetable with great response down low and rev's strong up high. I'm unsure of rpm because my tach is not acurate. If you want a rumpity idle, go larger! (should have taken jmortensens advice on this one)..... 4) I bought this car three months ago and have spent waaaay too much money on it but I love it!!! I really enjoy the web site, i read it everyday!! thanks

260z pic 2_thumb.jpg

olie05, i think the comp ratio is in the low 11's. the delorto's are 40 mm with only 30 chokes. yes the chokes are too small but this is what i had on the L26. i have not tuned the carbs at all with my new combo so i'm sure it will only get better with some tuning. I'm new to z's and have a lot to learn but am enjoying the ride!! I am certainly not a purist but i am sure having fun with this little L motor!

Thanks!! yes, i'm using the stock diameter valves. I worked the chambers and bowls for the most part with just a little runner work. The exhaust liners are.... well... interesting!? Can't say i've ever seen anything like that before but as 1 fast z has written before they can still flow pretty well.

Rebird, its good to hear your having fun with it. It's great that pump gas is working well for you at that CR. I'm also curious what the bigger exhaust valves make.

I'm in the process of putting together my F54 flattops/MN47/Mild cam/Custom intake/60mm TB/MegaSquirt engine. All it takes is lots of time and money.

p.s... i had to cut the head .020 to clear it... that was the first time it was cut off of factory specs. i do have a pretty good "flutter" when leaning hard on the throttle so i do have some tuning to do. i sinc'd them and adjusted the idle circuit but that is about it so far. first time with triples and i have a bunch to learn.

• Administrators

Guys, in computing your compression ratios, don’t forget that the L-series Flat Top pistons pop up OUT of the cylinder bore approx .020”-.025” at TDC so don’t forget to “subtract” that volume from your comp ratio calculations.

Guys, in computing your compression ratios, don’t forget that the L-series Flat Top pistons pop up OUT of the cylinder bore approx .020â€-.025†at TDC so don’t forget to “subtract†that volume from your comp ratio calculations.

Great point BRAAP. I too have considered doing a MN47 / F54 flattop combo, but am leaning more on having my existing E-88 worked over (ie unshroud the valves some more and open the ports up) and keep my triples (better, just spent 500bucks on NOS parts, spares, jets, emm tubes etc) and keep the old school / period correct performance modified look.

• 5 weeks later...

Any guesses on what this car is going to run or does anyone have a similar combo with time slips? i plan on running it in the next few weeks and i'm just curious. i do plan on posting the et (if i'm not too embarrassed!) it is pretty quick so my best guess is low 14's to high 13's but i may be way off. also, any suggestions on what rpm to dump the clutch off the line (street tires) at the track? thanks a bunch!