HybridZ

Help me Select a Torque Converter.

Recently i've built a new engine for my truck. I want SOME drivability to remain, but i would also like a nice hard takeoff. I don't know how much Horsepower the Engine makes, but i'm guessing that it's over 300. I don't know what i have in there right now, but i do know that these things about my Drivetrain/Engine:

TH400 Transmission (I'm sure a Shift kit is installed, but i didn't install it)

Engine:

350 Chevy (Block Bored .060)

10:1 Hyper Pistons

New Stock Size Crank (Nodular)

New Stock Size Rods with ARP wavelocks

.218/.218 at .050 .284 Advertized 110 Lobe Serperation .458 Lift Cam

1.6:1 Ratio Rockers

882 Heads 76cc Combustion Chambers

600 CFM Carb

With that mid range cam, I'd stick with the inexpensive Tork Master 2000 by B&m should stall around 2200-2400 with a full size truck and your cam. Gives you a good launch in the torque range of your combo. Also the TCI Saturday night special works the same. I go to a local Transmission supply and they sell a generic converter made by Dacco that has about a 2000 stall cheap. Don't buy a used stall unless you know they person your getting it from... alot of guys trash a tranny, try to wash out the converter with gas and chunk it on Ebay. Damn shame to lose a good tranny over $50. and alot of work to change. Anything over 2500 will cause alot of heat crusing and that kills trannies FAST! and always use a seperate trans cooler with a stall converter.

Hope this helps!

Just looked at my RPM range on that cam. It's 1500-5200, but i've noticed that a simalar duration with more lift causes the cam to start at 2000 RPM. Is this a True statement or does lift have nothing to do with a cam's RPM range? Since mine is a .458 Lift, the 1.6 rockers should bring it up to around .488 lift, right?