HybridZ

5 lug front conversion

Guest RON JONES

no you never heard of a 84 direct swap ..

at least NOT for the rears....

the front and rear swaps are ENTIRELY different.

to date nothing bolts in on the rear to convert from another nissan.

you could use wheel adapters but thats the only "bolton" way currently.

fronts are bolt on as the top of this thread started.

do a search on 5 lug and you will find most answers you will need.

When I get my digital camera back fdrom my buddy, I'll snap some pics of the rear stubs... Before and after as I have both types at the house.

However, in reference to the 84300ZX conversion you speak of, I believe you refere to the disc brake conversion using 300ZX Rotors... TOtally different subject.

Mike

• 2 years later...

Gen II (1970-1982?) Chevrolet Camaro front rotor assemblies (they're one-piece, just like the Z) fit the 280Z spindles. I confirmed this in a junkyard: removed a rotor from a mid-70's Camaro, installed it on a Z, tightened the bearing retainer nut, then backed off slightly. The wheel spins freely and there is no rocking perpendicular to the spindle axis.

There are two ambiguities. First, the what to do about the brakes? Obviously you can get aftermarket calipers that fit the Chevy rotors, but how to mount them? This would require some sort of custom adaptor. I highly doubt (but am not sure) that a Chevy caliper or its aftermarket replacements would bolt to the stock Datsun strut casting. The second problem is the bearing grease seal; the fillet radius of the Datsun spindle is actually larger than the Chevy spindle. A proper fit would require a grease seal with an inner race conforming to the Datsun spindle geometry, and an outer surface that fits the Chevy rotor assembly. Somewhere I heard that there are standard dimensions for grease seals - only a half dozen or so, which cover all passenger cars. If that's true, it might not be difficult to find a match.

So, I think that if the two problems mentioned above were solved, we'd have a cheap bolt-in solution (junkyard Chevy parts) for both better brakes and more common 5-lug wheel pattern for the front wheels. And probably the Wilwood etc. aftermarket parts would be cheaper for the Chevy components than for Datsun components.