HybridZ

New toy

texis30O

My secondaries do not or will not open untill they recieve vacum from the turbo housing. You guys are making me paranoid about stripping down my kit and putting it back together. I want to send everything off to get recoated all nice and new, but the mystery #6 is starting to make me wonder. I wonder if a change in the manifold design would help disperse gas/air mixture better?

Get it running first before you spend any more $ on it. Trust me.

John

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest agentc73

Hello all!

Texis,

AMAZINGLY NICE bit of vintage hardware ya got there.

I'm jealous.

One thing I would like to mention for your consideration.

Turbos create INSANE amounts of heat.

Much of this heat is transferred to the compressor side of the turbo.

I've seen many pics of an ENTIRE turbo housing(exhaust AND intake sides) glowing orange hot.

Do you REALLY want to continually dump gas all over EXTREMELY hot metal?

The very huge, very real risk of fire is why these draw-thru installs weren't ever very common,

even back in the 70's/80's.

That's why the supercharger always ruled,

until reliable EFI was available for a SAFE, reliable turbo setup.

The nostalgic value of these engines is astoundingly priceless,

to those of us who know what they are.

Turbo Tom did AMAZING things back in the day with Datsun/Nissan,

especially considering the technology he had available.

Such as, a 50's design Holley carb.

But if you run this car any decent amount of time whatsoever,

COUNT on a very nice engine bay fire.

Oh. And don't EVER pump the throttle to start it after a recent WOT stint...

Hello all!

Texis,

AMAZINGLY NICE bit of vintage hardware ya got there.

I'm jealous.

One thing I would like to mention for your consideration.

Turbos create INSANE amounts of heat.

IT DOES PRODUCE LOTS OF HEAT. MY BUBBLED PAINT HOOD IS EVIDENCE. HOW MUCH IS INSANE?

Much of this heat is transferred to the compressor side of the turbo.

I've seen many pics of an ENTIRE turbo housing(exhaust AND intake sides) glowing orange hot.

GOT A WATER COOLED TURBO KIT.

Do you REALLY want to continually dump gas all over EXTREMELY hot metal?

NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM. BUT I HAVE A FIRE EXTING. WRAPPED AROUND ROLL BAR. I HAD A CLOGGED NEEDLE AND THE CARB DUMPED GAS ALL OVER THE CARB, BUT NO FIRE AFTER A 25MILE TRIP WITHOUT BOOSTING.

The very huge, very real risk of fire is why these draw-thru installs weren't ever very common,even back in the 70's/80's.

DITTO, I DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FOR 5 YRS. BEFORE I BLEW THE OLD TURBO

That's why the supercharger always ruled,

until reliable EFI was available for a SAFE, reliable turbo setup.

DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT.

The nostalgic value of these engines is astoundingly priceless,

to those of us who know what they are.

NAME YOUR PRICE.

Turbo Tom did AMAZING things back in the day with Datsun/Nissan,

especially considering the technology he had available.

YES HE DID!

Such as, a 50's design Holley carb.

But if you run this car any decent amount of time whatsoever,

COUNT on a very nice engine bay fire.

5 YRS! CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!

Oh. And don't EVER pump the throttle to start it after a recent WOT stint

LET IT COOL DOWN!

JOHN GEE

Well I am at the muffler shop right now. I got a present from the ups guy last night 2.5 mandrel bends for the exhaust and well I just happen to have a HKS carbon-Titanium exhaust can laying in the garage. I am getting the exhaust refabbed right now prior to the Z Extravaganza today. I will let you guys know how it ends up. Hope to see a few of you out there. I am bringing my father ( x Vice-President) and his old buddy Jim Jones is supposed to show up in his crazy boosted 911.

Update....

I went to the car show and the Z died as we were pulling in the parking lot. I noticed that after driving it for a while it was jerking a little bit and not responding as it was previously. I was paying attention to the fuel PSI and it was remaining constant, my temps were rall good ( oil, water) and my oil pressure was good as well. I am not sure what the deal was. Then on the ride back home the car died as traffic died it would start up after coasting for a little while in traffic, I was backfireing more as I drove it more. The Z died 4 more times on the ride home, now this is a 55 mile trip one way. I dropped the car off at my parent's house since my Lexus was there I took that and had a BLOW OUT on the freeway at 5pm. I have no spare, no jack, not tools. So I inlisted the help of my father since he was just down the road. Got the new tire on and was back on the road by 7pm........fun day needless to say.

I am calling DaVinci to adjust the carb and have him look at it. I think that the car is getting too much fuel cause it smells like it.......I will bring the car to him when he has time for me and I can get the car back to the house....

That is what that big blue bottle is for.........lol...No I haven't filled it up yet.

I just got a reply from Davinci this morning and I am bringing the car to him on Friday. To be honest I love the kit that I have and want to get it up and running 100% ( John...) before I start to make any changes. My motor and head are fuly built for boost ( compression is all the way down to 7:1). I would love to do a RB 26 swap into the car, or a V8 boosted swap...I just don't know...I will however keep the Turbo Tom kit and get it dialed in prior to making any significant changes....( Electromotive XDi)

LT280z: I guess you had the silver boosted 280 up with the other cars? Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet up with you. I had my dad and his best friend in full conversation the whole time we were there at the show talking about the "glory days" of the Z club. The previous owner of my car ( my dad's best friend) was a charter member of the Z club of Houston.....

Guest agentc73

5 yrs?

That's much better than I would have guessed.

But you do admit to not if, but when.

Well, I guess once in five years isn't too bad...

I would never buy a car I know will catch fire, eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

ahh the sweet sound ob boost to my ears in Houston traffic on a friday. I got the car over to Davinci and he had it corrected in the parking lot with 2 flatheads, and a wrench. The man is a genius. My father got a kick out of the trip cause on the way over there I had him tail me. But on the way back I took off......I described what was wrong with the car and he had it done in about 15 minutes. I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone in the Houston area that needs their carbs tuned or reworked. I did not know what the car felt like when it ran properly untill yesterday. HOLY SH!t. it is fast. I need to get used to it and take out the weak links, but for now she is driveable, and reliable. I feel comfortable driving her across town, other than a little eletrical gremlin here and there I am going to start working on my laundry list of changes. I will change over to coilovers and probabily the AZC Wilwood kit when I have the money set aside. I know that the 180 rearend tha I have will not last long, nor will the tranny so I will start looking for a T5. John when do you want me to bring her by? Anyone else in the Houston area I am willing to drive her now.......I need to get a little thing called Registration taken care of next week.........driving on expired tags.......I get nervious a little ( sometimes)

So Texis, for future reference on my part, what was the carb issue and/or the adjustments Davinci made. What displacement is your's?

I am also curious about you other turbo tom guys about the power coming on and challenging the tires for grip. I have 225's in the rear and a r200 torsen (~3.5 by my calculations) Cant boost in 1st, 2nd spins around 4000, but 3rd is solid. When I got the thing I was thinking it would be extremely tail happy (i.e. toast the tires at will) but it does not seem that bad if you are smooth. What about you guys?

As another side note, I found a really cool wideband o2, knock, dyno, and datalogger. For the non ecu guys. So far I plan to get it and add some sensors so I can use the dyno function.

http://www.plxdevices.com/R-500_productinfo.htm

I have really only been driving the car yesterday and to tell you the truth I know it is spinning the tires but I am not hearing it. I am not getting thrown back in my seat but I am feeling the inertia. I haven't run agianst anyone so I don't really have a measure of how much I am pulling. I have the dial-a-boost set where it was previously, I believe it is at around 12-15psi....not fully sure. I am going to go with a set of coilovers, ans a AZC brake kit, my next two big purchases. I have been thinking over a wideband set-up but this all-in -one computer looks pretty damn good to me? I did not see a price on it I will google it in a sec.

He adjusted the secondary idle bleaders, and the primary float, and rechecked the sight plugs to make sure they were good.....and a few other adjustments. If you need to get in contact with him let me know.

Sounds good. It is a little bit camier than mine. Is it still 2.4 or punched out/swapped? I have a racer brown cam and 3.0L. Keep the videos coming, you might want to register it before you draw too much attention.

I keep the boost below 15, but play around 12-14. Be sure the water injection is reliable, especially if you boost for long time periods and build a lot of heat in the intake. I completely rebuilt mine. My best jetting is richer than I would like on the primarys (77's), but that is only because I can not keep the secondarys (96's) open long enough. Out of curiosity where are you guys with your jets?

I have really only been driving the car yesterday and to tell you the truth I know it is spinning the tires but I am not hearing it. I am not getting thrown back in my seat but I am feeling the inertia. I haven't run agianst anyone so I don't really have a measure of how much I am pulling. I have the dial-a-boost set where it was previously, I believe it is at around 12-15psi....not fully sure. I am going to go with a set of coilovers, ans a AZC brake kit, my next two big purchases. I have been thinking over a wideband set-up but this all-in -one computer looks pretty damn good to me? I did not see a price on it I will google it in a sec.

He adjusted the secondary idle bleaders, and the primary float, and rechecked the sight plugs to make sure they were good.....and a few other adjustments. If you need to get in contact with him let me know.

Let me know when you want to run them and we can meet up...Im in Spring so were pretty close to each other. It would be nice to see what the outcome would be. I dont think i put down anywhere close to your power levels but it would be fun. I have 2 other Turbo Z's that can get in on it too if you want. Theres a Friday night Domestic meet @ 2920 & 45 that we could meet at and then go for a fun run.

Yeah, That was my Silver Z @ the show.

I tuned my car and put it on the dyno last week so i know what kind of power im making so if we run you would be able to have an idea on your power. Have you Dyno'd It yet ?

I just went to day ( I was in the office for an hour and a half) to get my plates.....I got Texas classic plates 70 S30...I now get to wait. I need to get my headlights working before I do anything stupid. I will be more than happy to meet up with you on that side of town.