HybridZ

NZR: Porsche 944 still idles at 2400rpms!!! help!

OlderThanMe

Car: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Problem: idles at 2400 RPMs

Well I spent most of the day today helping my dad put all the EFI stuff and intake back on the 944t.

It had a problem of idling at 2000-2400ish RPMs and so we got a new idle control valve (old one was broken) and another part and put them on. After all that we fired the car back up after a month or so and it idled at 1200 for about 30 seconds and then it doubled that.

This "idle control valve" has the hose (just installed a new ones today) from the wastegate connected to it, a hose from just before the turbo on the intake(vacuum side), and a hose after the turbo (pressure side) on the intake side connected to it. It also has a 2 wire connector attached to it.

This piece was physically broken into like 12 pieces so it got replaced. The car still idles really high.

One thing I noticed was that two of the connector seats were slightly cracked but not too bad. The car idled really smooth at 1200 at first for 30 seconds (cold weather idle plus it normally idles at 1000) and then it raised up to 2400!?!?

This is getting really frustrating.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Is your throttle sticky at all or not adjusted correctly? I know you just gave it the hot rod powder coat treatment, so it's probably pretty clean, right? Is that a mass airflow car, or a map sensor car? If it's a mass airflow car, could you possibly have a leak in your turbo intake plumbing after the sensor? Maybe a torn boot or something?

Somehow, the ICV has to bypass air around the throttle plate, into the intake manifold. Either hose before or after the turbo might be the source of air for the intake. You didn't mention a passage for air into the intake manifold. If the ICV doesn't have an internal air passage, I would guess that intake manifold line may be connected improperly.

The 2 wire connector probably activates an ICV solenoid that either allows air directly in to the intake manifold, or operates a vacuum valve that lets in air into the intake manifold(like the 280zxt).

See what happens when you disconnect the electrical connector. Also see how the air can flow through the ICV when it turned on vs. off.

You mentioned one line leads to the wastegate actuator. Is there a tee to the intake manifold. All the manual wastegates I'm aware of operate off positive pressure from the intake manifold(under boost).

Hope this helps.