HybridZ

Drivetrain Play Issues

Gavin

I have been trying to sort out a problem with my drivetrain for quite some time now. Basically there is play somewhere, which I can feel when shifting gears, jabbing the throttle, etc. I have tried a rebuilding the half-shaft U-joints, replacing the mustach bar bushings with urathane, and have added a sold diff mount (which I know is kinda bad but dont want to hear about it right now). The driveshaft joints dont have any play that I can create using my hands.

What else could be causing this? Could it be the diff itself?

Thanks a lot,

Gavin

Worn control arm bushings, worn mustache bar bushings, oose driveshaft bolts, worn stub axle splines... the list is long for possible causes. I think backlash in the diff is probably one of the most common diagnoses and is also the most likely to be wrong. I would be very surprised if anyone ever took a diff out that wasn't howling like crazy and measured and found the backlash to be way out of spec.

I just took a look at my tranny mount and its definitely questionalbe. I can wiggle it back and forth a bit by hand. I'm going to pull it off this morning and give it the Urathane treatment.

I have a pair of stubs maybe I'll try those next.. Hope it doesnt come down to that, Im sick of this problem.

Thanks guys