HybridZ

Home made floor boards

Hi, I'm about to redo the body on my car, the floors are not too bad but, I'd like to rplace them while I'm there.

I know that using flat sheet metal for floors is'nt really good for torsional rigidity but, this guy did it and it looks good.

subframes.jpg

My question is, could I use flat sheet and weld on some sort of webbing that I could fabricate out off 1/4 steel rods or it would'nt be enough?

One other thought here, could I try to go to a junk yard and buy some floors from a fairly new and bigger car and use those to cut the desired shape in???? This way, I could a have factory like structural imprint in the floors.

Thanks.

I cut the roof of of an SUV or stationwagon with the little reinforcement beads for carrying luggage and use that metal. I've done alot of early mustang floors and trunks with this stuff and it works well. Older models say 80's and back of course are thickest metal. but I've used Explorer roofs too. I've also cut sections from fenders of other cars to recreate curls and bends to fab fill panels, 1/4 panel patches, tail panels and rollpans. You can get an idea of what you need as far as bend and length by cutting templates with cardboard and then just walk around the "pick it" yard or scrap metal place and look for similar rolls/curves in various fender tops, rooflines and such.

• Like 1

I basically did what the guy in the picture you posted did accept that I put my sub-frame connectors in first at floor level. I then had 2 pieces, or maybe 4 I don't remember, for each floor board. Basically I cut a piece and ran it from the trans tunnel to the subframe conn, then another from the innter door frame to the subfram conn. So you can see the top of the subframe connectors insite the car. I haven't driven it yet but it should be pretty stiff.

Just another route, the others sound like they will work well too!

• Like 1

That's my car in the picture and I had a local sheet metal shop make my floor pans. All I really had them do was to roll the edge on some 16 gauge sheet metal so that it would come up and meet the rocker panel. They were just rectangles when I picked them up and we cut them to shape to meet the tranny tunnel. We put the subframe connectors in before we cut out the old pans to help keep things strong but still only did one side at a time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...