HybridZ

Integrated cage

Here's an idea I read a while ago.

I think it was in sportcompactcar "before it became a crappy primedia sh*t rag"

They used expanding foam sealer in the rocker panels to stiffen the chassis.

I know I can get this stuff in different densities at hardware stores.

The question is, could I use this to inject into the hollow members of the shell like, rockers, A,B-pillars and the rim of the roof to stiffen the chassis (for street use) around the passenger compartement instead of having tubes around. I'd still use a dash bar, main hoop, fr. & re. strut connectors but, no links between main hoop and the front part.

Thanks.

P.S.: I know many people have told me that "You know what happen if water gets there. Keep moisture... but, does'nt the foam forms a slick seald layer on it's surface when it's dry? Plus the car would sit in a garage and rarely see the rain.

Structural foam can be used to stiffen parts of the chassis by filling voids. I looked at doing that to my racing 240Z and, after reading up on the stuff, I realized that the benefits would be outweighed by the drawbacks:

1. Cost - the proper structural stuff was pretty expensive and I figured it would be about $400 to do all the areas in my car.

2. Repairability - any area or panel that has this stuff stuck to it is basically unrepairable. The panel or area needs to be removed and repalced.

3. Benefits - The siffening benefits are not even close to what you get with a proper roll cage.

YMMV... on a street car.