HybridZ

No first or second gear-1973 240z 4-speed

Guest Chrizz240z

Guest Chrizz240z

I backed out of a parking space and then shifted into first and the engine revved like it was in neutral. It had not been making any noise and felt fine before this happened. When I move the shifter into 1st and 2nd it doesnt feel like anything is happening inside the tranny. 3rd 4th and reverse work fine without any weird noises. The slave cylinder is not leaking or anything. The tranny was a little low on gear oil. I just had the tranny rebuilt about 5 months ago.

Please help.

Thanks,

Chris

I had a friend with a '92 240SX, originally was automatic, but when he bought it, the guys who he bought it from swapped in a supposedly "rebuilt" manual tranny.

It sometimes had problems with first gear... When it got cold... First gear almost never worked, and Second gear kinda worked..............

First thing we did was drain the transmission... the gear oil was burnt to a crisp, you could smell it across the shop.

Added new gear oil, shifted perfect, no problems since.

My suggestion is check the obvious things first(which it sounds like you did), if that doesnt work, drain and replace fluids. Then go from there.

It doesnt sound like that's your problem, but it's a good idea to check. Think of all the things that could possibly effect the clutch and transmission, write them down, and just go down the list.

1st and 2nd gear are on the same shifter rail. I'd be willing to bet that the cause is the roll pin which hold the selector to the rail fell out or snapped. My understanding is that this usually happens when you shift like you're trying to break the shifter off (totally unnecessary) or running seriously high rpms (8000+). Requires pulling the case apart to get at the rail and selector, you might safety wire the new one in so that it can't fall out or break as easily.