HybridZ

might stick to a vg30et over the v8

typhoone

i like to stick to the idea of "anything is possible" i can lighten up the car a good bit w/a lot of carbon fibre, and other stuff. but i was planning on some pretty high numbers anyway, so what's 200 more hp? lol.....yep....i'm gonna wind up blowing the damn thing.....thank god for insurance....lol. >:-)

The car weighs 2750 w/ me in it. The 2JZ is a pretty heavy motor and the cage, etc add a lot of weight. Horsepower calculators based on my timeslip indicate 696 whp. Actual peak horsepower is surely slightly higher, but I haven't had the car on the dyno to find out.

Anyway, My buddy down here in Orlando is making dyno proven 650+ rwhp on his VG30et. His car is in one of the old SportZ magazine issues. He just has just been having troubles with breaking trannies. Another problem guys have had running a stick shift or transbrake in the Z31, is that they break stub axles. The Z31 stubs are surprisingly weaker than the s30 stub axles.

Don't forget the high 7 second Z31 from Puerto Rico that ran a VG30et. Although it is a pure race car, I saw it in person a few years ago in Gainesville. It was impressive.

Man the 2jz is heavy, and I guess the roll cage. but that engine is good no matter what it is in. these transmissions suck. I am hoping for 11s on my future sr20 car, maybe 350hp in a 2000 to 2300 pound 1970's opel gt... But I dont know.

But you can make any car fast, I dont think a 7second car will be streetable, unless your running 40psi and just turn it down.

zgad, So is your friend with the 650hp z31 breaking the 87-89 turbo trannies? I have this set up on my 200sx and was looking for around 500rwhp race and 350rwhp street. I looked for info and this trans is suppose to be the strongest stock trans you can use. I hope it holds together..... I would like to see more info on your friends z31. I have been to the orlando drag strip and seen a z31 run low to high 10's and have been impressed, I think the car was gray. I'm putting a vg30et in my car and any info would help, like turbo , clutch , internals, cam , etc......

Thanks Dave....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest goeatpaiste
Given the choice of getting 500 STREETABLE horsepower from each engine, I'm picking the 350 every single time. I guarantee I can do it for 50% of the cost (and complexity) and, when I break down in east armpit, north dakota - I'll be able to find parts :)

VG30ET parts are extremely common, and just as cheap as a chevy. The 350 will allow a higher power maximum, but the complexity of a swap and the purchase of a 350 with decent power and good condition puts a v8 swap at a higher price tag than a vg30et swap. A stock 350 is good for ~250hp, which is about the same as a stock vg30et. A cam is 200 bux, headers are 300 bux, an intake and carb will run you 500 or so. That will net you 325 or so horse before pulling the engine apart and puttin in new pistons, etc. With a VG30ET you can get 325 horse with the stock turbo and internals plus an intercooler (500bux) a boost controller (100 bux) and a BOV for good measure (100 bux). Prices are same, power is same. Gas mileage will be better on the VG and the swap will be much less complex, especially since the car was designed for the VG

stevo