HybridZ

might stick to a vg30et over the v8

typhoone

well my dad is officially more of a pain in the ass than i thought. he went off on a tangent about me doing the v8 swap than i thought was reasonable, but made me think about keeping the vg30et. it does just drop right in and all that fun stuff, but just wondering, what all would have to be done to make it be able to compete w/an ls1 or 350 sbc. i have done a lot of research, but i haven't been able to find a breakdown or anything of what would have to be done to accomplish everything. I would really like to be able to hit around 500 hp and i know that it won't be the easiest thing in the world to do, but i know it is possible. i am not worried about budget, i have a sponsor for the majority of costs, so i will worry about that much later, but i am the kind of person that likes to plan how i am going to swim before i jump into the water, so if anyone would give me some of their ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

ps - i have searched, but like i said i haven't been able to find a good breakdown of everything.

a vg30et is a good motor, personaly I would rather have a drop in than a v8, I like v8s but it takes money to get one of them fast, not that a high hp vg is cheap but I estimate 3 grand or so, I dont know. I have my stock engine at like 14psi and I keep up with a good bit of stuff.

gut the intake plenum, t3/t4 turbo im not sure what PSI to run but 15 to 20 should be fine for around 450hp, fuel management system, bigger injectors, fuel pump, bypass valve, better maf, a transmission and half shafts that can handle the power, I am not sure if an open r200 can handle a lot of power as far as having radials or slicks on it HEHE, 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, high flow cat if you have inspections, we are in SC so no inspection. where do you live? I am in Rock Hill(near charlotte)

but check out these peoples setups click on members http://www.vg30et.com when I get some funds I am going to do all the junk I said but I only want like 400hp just enough to own modded mustangs and evos

typhoone,

As far as getting HP, just do the math and compare a 3L six cylinder to a 5.7L 8 cylinder. If your only interest is HP, you'll be able to create it for far less money on the Chevy than the Nissan engine.

Go to www.chevytalk.org and use the search function and type this exact phrase in (including the quotes):

"I just want 500hp"

Charlie - I am over in sumter. it is a small boring town, but i know exactly where Rock Hill is, and i love that place. actually, i just love the drive there, I-77 is a fun little strip. lol.

Specialk - i know that it would be easier to get more hp out of a chevy simply because "there is no replacement for displacement" and it isn't goin to be easy or cheap, but i guess i will have to try my best. lol

that's what i am trying to tell him, but you don't know my father. if it ain't the way he thinks it ain't right. lol. Just wondering, does anyone know where i can find a vg30et in good condition for sale? i have looked on car-parts.com and emailed some people, but so far no responses. if anyone wants to sell their motor PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

thats the problem, its not the easiest engine to get your hands on, you could buy a 300hp v8 from a 1970 chevelle for 400 bucks, but its hard to find vg30et's. My cousin just bought a parts car for 600, and I know a guy that bought a parts car for 400, its not impossiible but not easy. If you have money there is a 86 300zx turbo for sale for $1000 with 70K original miles on zcar.com in the classifieds. Personally a v8 in my opinion would be fun, but... Im going to be doing a SR20 swap in another car hopefully so im kind of debating on whether to do any thing to my car.

i know it ain't the easiest to find, but they say what you work harder for you appreciate more.....so i guess this will make me appreciate it....i don't know. There are a good bit of ricers and a couple of stangs around here.....and i am tired of them being the ones to beat. i want to be able to compete with them....actually i want them to have to fight to keep up with me. this car is sorta light, and the vg30et is a REALLY good motor to build, but it won't be quite as easy. i am hoping that with some hard work, A LOT OF INPUT FROM HYBRIDZ, and some time i will be able to be the top dog of Sumter S.C.

What is your dad's primary arguement against the V8?

Seems to me 500hp is 500hp and if one motor can produce that level in a more reliable, streetable form then it would be a better choice. Not that a 500hp V8 will be much more streetable than a 500hp turbo motor.

The amount of work to swap the V8 in would be about the same as a VG30ET. The VG will require replacing the front crossmember and if you

run enough boost to produce 500hp you need an intercooler, boost control, enhanced fuel supply capabilites and after market engine control.

Anyway, either project is a lot of work and won't be cheap and whether its a 500hp V8 or VG30ET you'll still be able to go fast enough to kill yourself. :)

Wheelman

fast enough to kill myself.....that just doesn't sound fast enough for me. fast enough to crush myself when starting off the line.....now that sounds like fun. i have a little eclipse, and i got talent, so i can kill myself in that. lol. mainly my dad keeps whining and bitchin that the V8 would cost so much more to put in, and it would take just as much work, and if i ever sell it that i wouldn't be able to get anywhere near my money back....blah blah blah. i'll have to totally redo the suspension and all this stuff that i won't HAVE to do but will wind up doing anyway. but whatever. either way i will find a way to be king of the hill around here, and i don't really care how much $$$$ i have to throw into it. i am a very stubborn person, and once i have a goal i will reach it, no matter what path i am forced to take.

king of the hill :D. sounds like my town Rock Hill. to be the fastes in Rock Hill you need a car that can do like 8s or 7s in the quarter :D. but as far as ricers go I beat them all on 13PSI. the fastes one a built CRX with fuel management system, I beat him. I got beat by a WRX, he has 25PSi and runs 11s in the 1/4 but the fastes street racer is a red foxbody mustang that does like 8s or some crap like that. but my goal for my car is 12s and 13s in the 1/4, and my goal for my SR20 car, if I even get it, will be 11s in the 1/4. I want my 300zx to be highly street able, Im mainly giving that power so I can drift in it LOL.

what color is your 86, have you driven to Rock Hill before, I see a lot of 300zx's

Have you made a list of the performance items you'd require if you swapped in a VG30ET? Maybe that and a list of the same basic items involved in the V8 swap would help your dad understand that the basic cost of the 2 are very similar. Doing that would be a good thing anyway so your sponser has an idea of how much you need and what you plan to use it for.

It might be just that your dad is hung-up on the idea of a non-Nissan engine in your ZX.

Good luck with your project and your dad.

BTW: Are you going to race this car professionally? If not what will the sponsor gain from your project? I'm just curious.

Wheelman

charlie - i drive a white eclipse, and i have been to rockhill b4. it was fun cause i stomped this guy in a ram 1500.....weird guy if i do say so myself.

wheelman - the sponsor is one of my buddies that i have known for 2 yrs now. he runs a computer business and a house buisness where they buy one cheap, build it up, then get a nice profit out of it. I am working on the engine first, but then i am going to get the body/interior/paint job done right so i can take it to shows, that is where he is going to get his money from because he is going to get a nice piece of all the winnings from races/shows/bets etc.

DET - nissan v8, like the rbs.....don't make me orgasm. i would LOVE to but the thing is those are expensive not only to buy, but i live in a little town of sumter in a small boring ass state of S.C. i know cars pretty well, but i am by no means a mechanic. so as soon as something goes wrong internally on that motor....i am screwed.

rb's are inline 6's. the online v8 by nissan I can think of is in a infinity q45, vh45 I think, im not sure. but thats a good motor if u wanted to stick with the nissan name. I like fast cars but I dont care about looks all that much, I changed my bumper and found some free fenders but im not going to paint it just because that money will go into the engine.

ohhh, whopsie. lol. i am probably just going to stick with the vg, simply because it is a great power plant from the start. one of the main reasons that i wanted the LS1 is the WOW factor and they just look PERFECT under the hood of a Z. but the vg can make some great numbers, and i don't have to do an ungodly amount of fabrication just to put a motor in. lol.

Nothing wrong with the VG30et motor...

You can make 450rwhp all day long without stressing the engine, with supporting mods...(injectors, turbo, fuel pump, and good engine management)

Just add good rods and pistons, and 500 is a walk in the park. The beauty of turbo motors is that they can be like mom's grocery getter until you throw 20+ psi of boost at it, and then it becomes a Dr Jekyl / Mr hyde kind of thing...