HybridZ

Stock tach repair?

GeeZ

If the problem is mechanical in nature, then applying a very lightweight oil (available at a jeweler’s shop) to the meter movement will usually get you going again.

If the problem is electrical then you may have a more of a challenge.

The 240Z's tach used a simple two transistor "one-shot" circuit to drive the meter movement. I made a schematic of the circuit and posted it on the Classic Z Car forum. 240Z tach schematic. The transistors are still available. The later 260Z and 280Z tach's used a special Hitachi IC to drive the meter and it is NLA.

I have taken apart lots of tachometers and my recommendation is always just to replace the tach with a used (but working) one.

Thanks for your input. Nothing works on the tach, including the turn signals so, it is probably electrical. I tried to purchase a used one but on ebay you never know. Many of the sellers are just plain dishonest.

I downloaded posts for chaning the tach out with an Autometer. I might just go that direction.

Thanks

I put an Autometer directly into the dash of my 260 by simply wrapping some electrical tape around the outer diameter and stuffing it rightly into place.

I connected directly to the wiring harness using the original wire for the old tach.

The ONLY problem I have had is that the Autometer Illumination works OPPOSITE the rest of the dash: turn it down low, and the thing is brilliantly illuminated, turn the rest of the dash up to bright using hte dashboard rheostat, and the tach is dark as a moonless night. Maybe someone can figure out that glitch, but I don't normally run the dash lights bright at night anyway, so it is all evenly illuminated on mine.