HybridZ

Texas Holdem' RANT MODE ON

Jersey

So i'm playing with 15 guys i've never played before and we get down to the last 5. Mind you, 4th takes money.

Blinds are 150/300, no ante and i'm the big blind. I have about 2000 left after posting big blind. I dont look at my cards. First to act is chip leader.

He raises to 900. 3 times the big blind - standard.

Next guy - fold.

Next to him, fold.

Guy to my right, calls.

I peek at my card, Kh, Ks. I decide to go all in.

Chip leader to my left decides to call.

Other guy that stayed in, calls.

3 of us in now with my all-in. Looking good so far with my pocket K's.

Flop comes As, Kd, Qh. I hit 3 kings, perfect. Feeling good. Triple up time.

Chip leader to my left decides to go all in.

Only guy left folds.

I flip my K's, chip leader flips 10, Jack... a straight on the flop. Damn.

Turn - blank.

River - blank.

I'm out on the bubble. UG!!!

He called my all in with unsuited 10-Jack before the flop!WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY WOULD HE DO THAT???? Ok, i feel better now :) Sorry for the bad beat story. It's just tough when you're the new guy, doing pretty good and then get beat like that and on top of it all, to go out on the bubble!!!! Ok, ok... NOW i feel better :) Well, not really. Maybe i'll feel better tomorrow :) BTW - i'm not one of those raving lunatics when they loose (Phil Hellmuth, Mike Matusow), this just bit my @ss for some reason. Oh well, guess i'll play again next month with them again, and probably still on tilt. Lol.

RANT MODE OFF

Hehehe, it happens. I started playing poker with some guys from work recently and to say the least things have been going good for me....

Week one...won game one $50(played 2 games)

Week two...won game one $100

Week three...won the game and the bounty $110

To say the least I think the guys I'm playing with are a little annoyed. I bought them breakfast the last 2 weeks though so I'm not being a total dick about it.

I took one guy out on a straight draw this week. I had a 7-8 unsuited. Bet $100 pre flow(10/20 blinds) thinking I could push some guys out, nope all 6 guys call(these guys call just about everything I have found, preflop). So a 9-K-5 come out. I'm think ok, gut shot but I'll try to see if anyone has a K, so I push $300 out there and 3 guys call. Next card is a 2. That probably didn't help anyone so I push $1000 out there thinking for sure everyone will fold, nope 1 guy calls me. So then the river card comes out and its a 6! BAM I hit the card I need so I push $3000 out there which is almost all the other guys chips so he says all in so I call the last $340 of his chips and he flips them over.......he's got 2 pair and I have a 6-10 straight! Boy was he pissed! LOL He didn't understand why I was betting so high on a gut shot straight draw!? I told him I was just trying to buy the pot and on the last card I caught what I needed other wise I would have checked or folded! Heheheheh! Sometimes the river can be ugly!

What I don't tell these guys is that I play probably 2 hours of poker every night after work on my computer! They think I'm just lucky! If I win this next week I think they're going to kill me!LOL

Guy

RE: online poker,

I don't know about the real money games, but the online free games are a scam. Their algorithm is not random, it favors the chip leader, especially if you have like 3x more than everyone else. Makes it look easy, so you think you can do it for real. Noticing that, I wouldn't trust their pay games. Plus it's too easy for cheats tag teaming and cahoots.

- Were his 10-J suited

- What was his chip count compared to yours.

If he had 5x your chips he might have figured "what the heck". It's partially your fault, when he went all in after the flop, you should have announced that you were calling for a "do-over" :)

Hey Guy - some guys who play the game like it's thier life, hate losing to someone that plays a pair of cards that the odds aren't worth playing and will complain how bad of a play you made, even though you beat them. Bottom line - you won. lol. You were playing with bad odds and bet a lot of your money with not much of anything but it just happen to work out. Nice. I'm sure the chip leader that took me out last night was thinking the same thing :) I just got up from the table and shook everyones hand, had another beer and watched for a while, then left. That's poker :)

Dr hunt - yup, luck definelty plays it's part and some guys don't believe it. They actually figure that thier that good and should always win. It wont happen. Being good will def help get you through some rounds and past less experienced players but sometimes luck is needed for sure to get you to the end. You're absolutely right.

I never really played that much online poker, before they banned it, basically because of the scams that could go on and, i'd rather spend that time in the garage working on the Z... which i didn't do much of anyway :)

Well, it's the next day and i feel better. lol. The main reason i play is really to get together with a bunch of guys and have fun. Winning makes the night better for sure but it's mainly for fun. I've been getting together once a month playing Holdem' with my group of 10-14 guys for the last 2-3 years and it's a blast. I actually took 1st 4 out of the 12 games last year, 2nd-3 times and 3rd twice which put me at top for taking the most $ for the year. So, next weekend is the first game of OUR game and i'm sure they'll all be guning for me. ha. All in fun though.

SteelToad - 10-J unsuited and he only had about 3x my chip count. He called my all-in preflop and bet 1/3 of his chipstack with that. Then he bet all-in after the flop on the other guy that stayed in when he caught the straight. O'well. it happens. It was fun... would have been funner if i won that hand though. LOL

I don't play with real money on-line. I haven't really noticed that the game favors the chip leader either. What usually happens is on the first hand you get 3-4 people who go "all-in" with whatever for cards and just hope to win. Then the winner of that hand tends to blow their massive chip lead and someone else usually wins.

Jersey- Sometimes you just have go with your gut. And sometimes you have to show the guys that you'll bluff at pots with nothing. That's pretty much what I was doing. Otherwise they won't play their cards when your in the hand because they will think you've got something big and are probably beat.

After I took out one of the guys this week he started to look at what people were folding(nobody cared) preflop. Well I folded a 6-3 offsuite preflop because someone raised it to $2000($300/$600 blinds). I wouldn't have called the $600 either but after a $2000 raise I wasn't in it for sure! So out comes a K-6-6, oh well I just folded trips. Can't do anything about it now. Then comes a 8-2. The guy who won only had a pair of K's. So he starts ripping on me about how I folded a 6-3 offsuite! I was like ya that's almost worth calling a $2000 bet preflop! Then he tried telling me that you should always see the flop. Then I said "you see these(looking down at my chips), these are called chips and when your still in the game you get to play with them!" That pretty much shut him up! LOL He's just mad because he plays poor poker but thinks he's Daniel Negrato and can read everyone! I just laugh when he goes out and I'm still in!

Guy