HybridZ

A little update of the L31DETT.

1 fast z

Here is just a little update on Mcadam's and My project on the DOHC L31DETT. I bought a house recently so that sorta took up alot of my time, haha. Anyways, I fabbed up the intake this weekend. Heres some pics. Volume is more than adiquite from my calculations. Notice the Internal velocity stacks that I did on a manual Bridgeport. The CNC is not communicating with the PC right now, grrrrrrrrr. I WILL be building an ITB setup later but for now, We NEED to get it running and driving by mid APRIL for MSA.

FRANKINTAKE_001-600x450.jpg

FRANKINTAKE_005-600x450.jpg

FRANKINTAKE_008-600x450.jpg

FRANKINTAKE_009-600x450.jpg

FRANKINTAKE_010-600x450.jpg

FRANKINTAKE_012-600x450.jpg

Yea, school started driving me insane. Plus I decided I didn't need to get that much in debt just for undergrad... (*cough $25k cough*)

And I have my car here and I'm not freezing to death haha ;)

Plus here I can major in Electrical Engineering, minor in Computer Eng and Math, all for a little less course load then NU and pennies compared to in price.

Seriously, if you need help or are going to start it, lemme know, I'll drive up in a minute haha

Good luck with it,

Mario

I'm just...wow...That's great...

How did you get the oil and coolant passages lined up and ensure nothing got blocked? What about the head bolt pattern? Obvious things would have been shifted around cutting the thing into pieces and welding back together. Are there gaps inside the passages that would be a concern? This is all incredible to me that you're able to pull it off.

Actually you take 2 KA 24de heads, and slice ONE of the heads DIRECTLY down the middle, and when I say directly I mean directly, you only have about a 15 thousands of an inch curf to deal with . Then you take another head and take off the end cylinders and keep the center two cylinders, then its puzzle time. This is all done on a wire edm machine, to ensure a perfect cut, then the 1/3rds are surface ground to ensure PERFECT flatness and width. Also, they are NOT welded together but rather bolted and doweled together with a Viton oring inside each third to seal. Welding will create too much warpage and make cam bores out of round and alignment, and you cant just line bore the head as the rotater cup bores wont be perpendicular to the camshaft thus they wont turn, and it will wipe out cams and rotaters.