HybridZ

OTM's powdercoated block

2003z

Awesome Mike!!!

When you look at the block from an angle it is not all blue-ish...It is all varied like around the edges. 75% of the time was cleaning and the rest was letting it bake and getting the beast of a motor in/out of the oven.

I'll see if I can get my cell phone pics on the web somewhere.

Be sure if you want to get your engine powdercoated that is is CLEAN! I mean like hot tanked and bright looking! like new! I spent a ton of time (6-7 hours total) blasting and grinding my block to get it smooth and clean.

TImZ...immitation is the best form of flattery... :wink: J/K!!

I pick up the block from the machine shop tomorrow so I'll get some more pics of it then.

Be sure if you want to get your engine powdercoated that is is CLEAN! I mean like hot tanked and bright looking! like new! I spent a ton of time (6-7 hours total) blasting and grinding my block to get it smooth and clean.

TImZ...immitation is the best form of flattery... :wink: J/K!!

I pick up the block from the machine shop tomorrow so I'll get some more pics of it then.

Yah, probably next week I'm gonna start stripping the motor, and gonna tank it and grind it just the same. It needs to goto the macine shop and I thought about painting it, but I tend to do random various work to the Z and the thought of a scratch-proof coating sounds good.

Yah, probably next week I'm gonna start stripping the motor, and gonna tank it and grind it just the same. It needs to goto the macine shop and I thought about painting it, but I tend to do random various work to the Z and the thought of a scratch-proof coating sounds good.

Helpful hint:

If you are thinking about grinding down the casting marks and making the surface smooth, Roloc ScotchBrite pads on a die grinder work wonders.

2003z, what is the pricing of this type of powdercoat? I wouldn't mind getting something similar.

If a block came to me hot tanked and ready to coat, only needing to be masked and coated, I would charge $150, $275 if it was dirty, (and I would have it hot tanked), any local powdercoater should charge about the same.

It took about 8 oz. of chrome and 8 oz. of color powder.

I just got the shortblock back together. I picked up the block around noon today. The main bearings were OK but not great. The rod bearings were SHOT so they got replaced.

now I just need to torque the rod bolts down and then start setting up the head and getting #1 piston at TDC.