HybridZ

Mandrel Vs. Crush Bent Piping

Forces

Sorry if this a repaet, I did seach. What are the REAL HP losses if crush pipe tubing is used. I am trying to gather idaes for my dual exaust on my 383 stroker Z, but I am on a limited budget. If Mandrel makes THAT big of a difference I will go that route, but if it's only a sacrafice of 5 or 10 HP, it's not worth the money, IMO. I'm not looking to build a drag car, just a fun a fast car to play with when the weather permits. any help would be very much appericiated.

*engine* 383 stroker w/ edlebrock air gap intake, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, RPM performer 66cc heads, 480/480 230/230 Crane cam, block hugger headers.

Seann

We can't "calculate" the horsepower loss number for you. You haven't even specified what diameter exhaust tubing you're thinking about and it really appears that you want us to help justify not spending the money on a mandrel bent system. That's something we can't do either.

My suggestion: get the crush bent exhaust system because the money saved can be spent on other things your car probably needs. Later, if you come into more money, then upgrade the exhaust.

I'm running 2 1/2" exhaust, and will proabably do side exit. The headers are 1 5/8" primary and 2 1/2" collector. I know that the HP loss cannot be "calculated". Exhaust is not one of my strong topics, and I am not sure what the back pressure differences would be. The exhaust I am gonna be running (if I go with side exit) will probably have 2 90 degree bends, 4 45 degree bends and several small angle bends <30 degrees. Using 20" Magnaflow round mufflers.

Guest 280ZForce

just man up and drop down for a mandrel system so you dont have to spend more later if you decide otherwise. Looks better when under the car and will flow better, especially with that many bends you mentioned. Do it right the 1st time. Just call around and get some quotes or drive to the shops if need be. the worst that can happen is you say no.