HybridZ

Shifter for TH350 - Would this be ok?

Would this be ok for a basic shifter for a TH350? My main reason is to get rid of the stock shifter and the crazy linkage my friend created for it. It is just not reliable.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D80776&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I don't plan on buying this new... it's just simply more than I can afford to spend right now. I'm just making a list of shifters I can look for used.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah... I kinda wanted something that sat lower. Can the box on the bottom be removed possibly?

I thought about this one, too. Not sure if it'll work. The only reason I went with the other was because it shows what gear you're in.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D80775&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I used to Hurst V-matic shifter for my TH350. It's practically a B&M mega shifter. I didn't use the mounting base on, I sunk the shifter into the tranny tunnel by about 3 1/2 inches. The second shifter you posted a link for, you probably wouldn't ba able to sink it down. That and it would probably be really REALLY tall. Hope that helps.

A ratchet shifter allows you to change gears without having to worry about moving the shifter too far and going into an undesired gear. For instance, say you're in first and want to go to second, all you have to do is push the shifter up once and you're in second, push it up again and you're in third. You don't have to use the ratchet function, you can simply pull up (usually) and shift right into any gear you like (just like a "normal" shifter). Make any sense? I have one and I really like it.

Is the Hurst V-matic the same one they sell at AutoZone for $138? Looks just like it. I'm gonna call them and see.

That was my next question. Since the shifter is not directly mounted to the tranny, I can take that ridiculous box off, right?

I used to Hurst V-matic shifter for my TH350. It's practically a B&M mega shifter. I didn't use the mounting base on, I sunk the shifter into the tranny tunnel by about 3 1/2 inches. The second shifter you posted a link for, you probably wouldn't ba able to sink it down. That and it would probably be really REALLY tall. Hope that helps.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info. I really don't need a ratchet shifter, but if I can find a used one for a reasonable price, I'll jump on it.

A ratchet shifter allows you to change gears without having to worry about moving the shifter too far and going into an undesired gear. For instance, say you're in first and want to go to second, all you have to do is push the shifter up once and you're in second, push it up again and you're in third. You don't have to use the ratchet function, you can simply pull up (usually) and shift right into any gear you like (just like a "normal" shifter). Make any sense? I have one and I really like it.

Is the Hurst V-matic the same one they sell at AutoZone for $138? Looks just like it. I'm gonna call them and see.

That was my next question. Since the shifter is not directly mounted to the tranny, I can take that ridiculous box off, right?

I think I paid about $200 for my hurst, which is more expensive than the B&M. IMO the B&M mega shifter is a better choice. It is easier to operate, and it is cheaper, But I wanted to try the hurst version out.

read through this, might find some answers:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115876

I am using the B&M Hammer shifter with my 700r4 and have solved the sitting up too high problem. Measure and cut, I just fabbed a box that the shifter sat/mounted in and recessed it down in the transmission tunnel of the car so it doesn't sit up at all.

After fitting it I cut the plastic shifter case/box to fit down over the shifter but at a much lower level. Two of my friends have done the same thing with their Healy Hybrid cars.

Just make sure and use a little silicone to seal things up really tight so as not to get exhaust fumes in the car.

Works like a charm!

@Forces

Here's the Hurst I was talking about at AutoZone:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HUU%2D383%2D8500&N=700+400134+4294822068+4294904013+4294903949+4294818679+115&autoview=sku

It's actually cheaper at AutoZone than Summit, plus I get another 10% off military discount. It's cable-operated and it's ratchet. I just don't know if I can ditch the box or not.

@zfan

Do you have any pics of the hack job you did to the Hammer shifter? I just looked it up, that is one nice shifter. It's more than twice what I was looking at paying, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Double check the position of the shifter before you start drilling. It's a personal preference sort of thing, but I like my right elbow to be at my side when banging gears. It tends to keep the car straighter.

I used the factory console so it was kind of a compromise in positioning versus console location. Mine is also sunk down in the tranmission tunnel so the shifter only sticks up about eight inches. If you elect to do it this way you have to fabricate a mount to lower it down. On my car I also made a little box out of aluminum flashing to seal the bottom of the shifter from the elements. The flashing is really thin so it's like working with cardboard.

Also check the "park" position of the stick. I actualy had to change shifters because another model of shifter put the handle against the front center console.