HybridZ

how to make a cage. ???

Guest Anonymous

Good idea Ross, which raises a question I had. I know it depends on the cage manufacturer, but what points generally get welded to, and has anyone noticed any tearing of the plates from the sheetmetal where the mounting pad plates are welded to the chassis?

I ask this because I'm going to have to get a cage in quick, Zdreamer pointed out ON MY CAR (I hate that...) the seams above the quarter window have flexed, and cracked the paint (no biggie about the paint). He then showed me the same thing on one of the two stockers he has and assured me that was common which I believe after I saw it on his car as well.

I'm looking at probably a eight point, maybe 10 because Im looking to minimize the intrusion into the inside cabin a bit. It won't be a race car, but I do want it stiff so it doesn't look like a pringle. I am considering another tube from the front sidebar supports, through the firewall and connecting to the strut tower somehow. If you guys have done this, will that work, I mean does anything get in the way on the drivers side? I know the battery will be have to be in the back for that to happen, but any picture examples of this?

Much appreciated,

Lone

Ross when you say small tabs do you mean tieing in at various points around the cage besides the floor and frame mounts example... welding tabs from the cage to pillars and roof areas to the cage? I could see how this would stiffen considerably over just a cage install is this what you mean?

Wow, cool, Jegs has an 8 point cage for $149....... (evil grin forming) I wonder how much work is required for this cage versus the S&W that everyone has to completely rebuild? It exceeds NHRA requirements, or so they say.. I could install it in my auto shop class, we installed a cage into our Camaro in a couple of days... hmmm...

Guest Anonymous

They have one that fits the Z? Or is it a universal or for like a F-body or something? The Z's main hoop looks like it would have to be pretty small... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Apparently they do.. go to the Jegs website and do a search for Datsun and you'll find a bunch of 'Jegster' cages.. they have from a 4-point up to a 12-point and prices are very reasonable... thanks Mike for pointing it out. I'll ask around and see if anyone's used it because if it's a good cage I'll probably get the 8-point...

Guest Tht1KSguy

jimzdat i'm looking at Jegs website right now and they show cages for the 2+2 also. Dang i'm glad i checked this thread before i ordered the S&W cage. I've been avoiding it because it sounds like such a PITA. icon_rolleyes.gif Anybody have any experiences good or bad w/ the Jegs cages? It looks like they show a whole basically tube chassis for a 4 link install too for like $560 but i'm keeping my IRS.

The generic diagram on the same page as the Datsun cages on the Jegs website looks very much like the S&W one (the diagrams are at least identicle to the instruction sheet that came with my kit from S&W). My thinking is the amount of fabrication and customization would be the same for the Jegs unit as it is for the S&W unit icon_rolleyes.gificon_confused.gif . Won't know until someone buys one I guess. I hope that it's easier than the S&W unit, but since the prices are similar, the design maybe is too??!!

My install wouldn't have been too bad if I wasn't using a fuel cell and racing seats I guess. Pictures in another post if interested.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I checked it out and with the shipping, I can get a Chris Alston cage in town, probably what I'll do. I can pick it up and save the shipping and can probably get another 2 points for the savings in shipping. Not very practical for you guys back east probably. I'll report what his is like when I get around to buying it.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: I did like that full tube drag chassis though, but that'd be a waste on my car.

• 1 month later...

Wow, the price for the Jegs roll cages is very reasonable.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=30767&prmenbr=76&lastcat=2198

I want to add a roll cage to my car and need to figure out which one will be best for my use. This is a duel purpose car for street and track days and I want the most protection possible without intruding too much on street comfort.

Besides the obvious (that it has more mounting points), I was wondering what the physical difference is between an 8 point vrs a 10 or 12 point roll cage. For example, does a 10 point have door bars whereas an 8 doesn't? Can I buy a 10 or 12 point and safely modify obtrusive bars be removable or something along those lines?

- Rick Scott

Guest Anonymous

I believe Jegs also sells a cage kit for 2+2's, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I didn't notice there were any more messages or another page until after I posted.