HybridZ

What does the Hybridz Community think of this compressor?

wonderllama

I plan on doing some body work and grinding to get 30 years of rust and grease off of my 1978 280Z. This air compressor seems to have the best CFM rating for the price range, so I thought I'd pick it up this week. That is, unless someone knows of something better in the price range.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00919541000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I've been looking for used compressors for weeks now, and there has been nothing local.

That one looks pretty good. It's a cast iron oil-lube design so it will be quiet(er). The CFM output is pretty good, too.

I'd recommend going with a dedicated 240V setup though. It will have double digit CFM output. A 120/240 compressor will run cheaper on 240V (lower amps), but will still be output constrained.

Check out the Campbell Hausfeld VT6271. Only dedicated 240V portable compressor I've seen. The motor/compressor is the same as their big industrial 60 gallon version, but on a smaller portable tank. It's also the one I have ;)

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=60827&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10537

- Greg -

I would go with a larger 60-80 gallon compressor that's hardwired and buy a couple rolls of hose that will stretch to whereever you want to work. You'll work the hell out of the compressor using air tools for body work with that small a tank. I have an 80 gallon from Harbor freight that cost me about $350 and has the same CFM ratings. It's great. I've been running it for well over a year now for everything from body work to everyday mechanical to painting. Never failed me and I've had it running for a solid 45 minutes before because the DA Sander puts quite a load on there.

I would go with a larger 60-80 gallon compressor that's hardwired and buy a couple rolls of hose that will stretch to whereever you want to work. You'll work the hell out of the compressor using air tools for body work with that small a tank. I have an 80 gallon from Harbor freight that cost me about $350 and has the same CFM ratings. It's great. I've been running it for well over a year now for everything from body work to everyday mechanical to painting. Never failed me and I've had it running for a solid 45 minutes before because the DA Sander puts quite a load on there.

do you have the part number for this compressor? I'd liek to check it out.

Keep looking for a used one. I got a year old used one for $100 and it was a vertical 26 gallon, oil lubed dual cylinder cast iron and does great with all the tools i got except the sander because it wasn't rated for my cfm but i had it.

For $399, or $430 out the door, you could find a 60+ gallon 5 hp for that price.

I've got a similar one....the 110V upright 2 stage, 2.5hp 35 gallon. It is very slow to recover. Its nice to have the extra pressure, but unless you are running impacts or air ratchets intermittenly, it sucks. Cutters and grinders work great for about 60 seconds, then you get to sit down and drink a beer while it takes 10 minutes to fill back up. Personaly, I don't quite mind drinking a 12 pack per every 15 minutes or so of grinding, but if something actually must be accomplished in a set time frame, it can get frustrating. I would look at something with at least 5 horsepower and a 60 gallon tank....or get electric grinders. Air tools are nice, but electric stuff doesn't need a big, huge, noisy, expensive compressor to operate for hours on end. Get that craftsman compressor for your impacts and air ratches and plug your bodywork tools into the wall.

I have this one at home, and recently brought it to work when one of my shop compressors died...1 man using the compressor for like one to two hours would overheat it using a DA sander..

it runs on 120v plugged in..so id suggest looking at some other more heavy duty models.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00916732000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&BV_SessionID=@@@@1784944038.1169018577@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchfaddjmdegjgecefecemldffidfno.0

I plan on doing some body work and grinding to get 30 years of rust and grease off of my 1978 280Z. This air compressor seems to have the best CFM rating for the price range, so I thought I'd pick it up this week. That is, unless someone knows of something better in the price range.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00919541000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I've been looking for used compressors for weeks now, and there has been nothing local.