HybridZ

Plea for help Tucson AZ guys!

mario_82_ZXT

Long Story

Ok, so before it was time to go to college at U of A, my clutch fluid started disappearing. I checked the bottom of the car and the slave cylinder was moist.

It was replaced, and all was well.

Fast forward 1.5 weeks. About to drive up Catalina Mountains (going to check tire pressure and fill up first), clutch feels funny, then I loose pretty much all clutch pressure (car sat all weekend). I moved off the road and checked clutch fluid level, nearly all gone.

Short Story

Looks like my master cylinder died (clutch fluid on driver footwell). I'm going to rebuild it.

So here is where I can use some help, I believe I have all the tools to do the job, but I need a place where I can work on it (stupid apartment complex...). That and I need to be able to raise the car and bleed it (would need help bleeding it as well, just someone to pump the pedal).

Any takers? I think I have enough fluid to get all the parts necessary and I'd only need space for 1 hour (maybe 2 tops). I have a set of tools with me, I'd buy the parts and I'd pay for dinner or something... (I'm broke cuz of college).

Please, if anyone can help e-mail me or post, thanks!

Mario

Thanks for the link!

I'm trying to locate the part now and waiting for a friend to come back and see if he'll let me use his space. If I can't I'll post on the tucsonz.com board. Sadly I can't find it locally so far...

Any good local parts stores that might have it in stock?

Thanks,

Mario

I think he means bleeding the system from the MC...I did that with my brakes and it worked really good.

Mario can't bleed his from underneath because his Z is lowered 3" on the suspension and probably has smaller tires too so it is more like a 3.5" drop from stock.

I have tires over an inch taller than stock and I can't fit my head under the car sideways...I have about 5" of ground clearance at the regular level. That is the benefit of coilovers though. You can lift the car up to above rally height in like 5 minutes. Just mark you normal threaded collar positions to be able to drop the car back exactly where it was.

Hey Pop, he's talking about doing the clutch. Doing it in a parking lot is easier than doing it in a garage because you have more open space, but most apartment complexes have regulations against working on a car (something about scaring away potential tenants). I have personally lowered no less than three cars in the parking garage of USF at night, so doing it at school isn't a bad idea.

No one seems to have it in stock. I'm going to try again to find it today (few more parts stores to call around). If at all I will see if they have the rebuild kit at least. If I park in the alley behind the apartment complex after 5:30 I should be alright to work on it. Problem is it will get dark soon afterwards.

Veritech, when my Z had stock suspension I could in fact bleed from underneath without jacking it up. Now I need at least a 2x4 under a tire before most jacks will even fit underneath it...

What REALLY sucks is I have a date tomorrow... dammit I need a car...

Mario

I've done a clutch in the driveway on jackstands in both my Zs (actually, I did an auto to manual conversion with just the front on stands in my buddy's garage on my current z). It's actually easier (with carbs, anyway) to just pull the whole thing out, engine and all. Where there's a will, there's a way. Necessity is the mother of invention. If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean....sorry, I'm so used to hearing those dumb sayings at work, they kind of stick with you after a while...

Woohoo found the part! I've never heard about BAP Import (I guess it's a southern AZ thing) but they had the master complete with one year warranty for $35!

I parked it in an alley way and tore at it. The pin in the pedal is such a b!tch to get back in but everything's working right now. I got one of my roommates to pump the pedal. Bled and everything. Grabs nice but it's still a little high (I think I might mod the the rod in the slave cylinder to make it adjustable).

Woohoo! Anyways... I think I might join the Tucson Z club now that I'm down here ;)

Thanks again guys,

Mario