HybridZ

Injector upgrade question

sfpar

I am looking to upgrade to the 35#, 370cc injector. Do you guys know if this injector would work on the 1982 turbo z engine as long as I add a new fuel rail? They are some sort of pico style injector.

Here is a link to the injector in question:

Edelbrock/ Magneti Marelli 35 lb/hr fuel injectors

http://www.edelbrock.com/sportcompact_new/mc/fuel/fs_injectors.shtml

No, they will not fit the manifold properly. Your best bet is some used DSM style injectors. Find a used set on Ebay, and send them out for cleaning.

So that solves you mechanical problem.

On to the ECU question. Are you still using a stock ECU? If so, it will run extremely rich if you just drop in bigger injectors. You will either need to tune the stock EFI, or go to an aftermarket progamable system.

No, they will not fit the manifold properly. Your best bet is some used DSM style injectors. Find a used set on Ebay, and send them out for cleaning.

So that solves you mechanical problem.

On to the ECU question. Are you still using a stock ECU? If so, it will run extremely rich if you just drop in bigger injectors. You will either need to tune the stock EFI, or go to an aftermarket progamable system.

Thanks Pete. I kinda thought so.

I am checking ebay every so often to see if the brown tips are available.

Oh yes, the ECU and AFM. I am running pig rich with NA injectors soooo I will be purchasing the SDS system shortly(winter here so I am just getting my ducks in a row so to speak). Due to my limited mech abilities, I am probably just going to get the SDS fuel only deal. My goals are to get this car running with the proper Air/fuel mixture, 300-350hp, that's really about it. I have the 60mm tb upgrade on the way. Do you think that will be sufficient in order to get to where I'm trying to go?

Thanks,

Scott

I am running mk3 non turbo supra injectors right now(311CC's). 77 280Z with a 82 280ZX turbo motor, stock turbo, stock efi. I can run 14psi with a 11.9-12.0 AFR at stock fuel pressure. it runs alittle rich cruising and at idle but not too bad. idle is around 13.s and cruise is high 13's low 14s.. When I go aftermarket EFI.. I have a set of MK3 turbo supra injectors.. (440 CCs) that I will use.

Guys, I'm swapping an 82zx turbo into my 77..what's the biggest injector I can use in the stock manifold? Any recommendations as to brand or make?

The manifold doesnt limit your injectors (unless you pick some that are physically larger).. Your EFI will though.. I would suggest reading this whole thread again and then doing some more research.

Willen,

Can you give us a little more details on your mk3 injector swap? Did you need a new fuel rail and are they a plug and play with the stock zxt ECU and harness?

I am looking for a little more fuel but no enough money for a good stand alone and I am a little too scared to take on the Mega S. Thanks.

SDS is good. Right now I'm running MSD 72lb/hr injectors (about 750cc/min) with an older EM3. These are really big for an inline 6 but mine still starts and idles just fine.

The other night I started it in 35 degree weather and it cranked for a couple seconds, then started and idled fine, I didn't have to touch the throttle to keep it from dying. I do not have the cold start or the AC valve.

Kash, I know what you mean about MS. I would love to have megasquirt but just don't feel comfortable installing that system. That is why I am going with the SDS guys. They pretty much have a plug and play system and customer service is right on.

As soon as I get the 450cc injectors and a fuel rail from palnet, the sds will be next.